Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi! im a new h21sc owner, I've read some of the post on the topic and I would like to know if the springs are absolutely necessary since I haven't found them online. Is there more information on how to use another line to lower the centerboard?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

You could use shock cord, but the design requires something to pull the boards down. Otherwise, they float up under sailing speeds.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any info on shockcord length and diameter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi K1124,

McMaster-Carr sells some spring stock (part# 9665K46) which was 20" long, enough for two springs for $15. Attaching the upper loop to the bolt shaft was a challenge on the 21sc because there's no access except from below. Instead of using a loop bent into the spring I found an old luff shackle and used it as the hook. I've been using this for several months with great success. Let me know if you have any questions on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PX27qSWGr7USZxwV7

In regards to shock cord, i'm sure 5/16" (8mm) would work. At minimum I would imagine using one band on each side of the centerboard just like the springs. If it's not enough pressure you could probably double it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NikNot90882 wrote:
Hi K1124,

McMaster-Carr sells some spring stock (part# 9665K46) which was 20" long, enough for two springs for $15. Attaching the upper loop to the bolt shaft was a challenge on the 21sc because there's no access except from below. Instead of using a loop bent into the spring I found an old luff shackle and used it as the hook. I've been using this for several months with great success. Let me know if you have any questions on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PX27qSWGr7USZxwV7

In regards to shock cord, i'm sure 5/16" (8mm) would work. At minimum I would imagine using one band on each side of the centerboard just like the springs. If it's not enough pressure you could probably double it up.

Thanks, I think I’ll try de shockcord option first since I have some laying Around but the spring with the shackle is a great idea!!!