Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat cover
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 21sc is disassembled and in a container bound for the warm waters of Kaneohe Bay! I think its time to stop using the Home Depot tarp as a cover. Does anyone have any good leads on where to get a nice Sunbrella cover made? Preferably a shop that already has a pattern for the boat.
-Jim Sears

Post subject: Re: Boat cover
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My SC came with a full size cover and, after a couple of sails, I tossed it in the trash and started using Home Depot tarps.

Only the tramps need protection, and it's just too much work to remove and put back the thing.

Post subject: Re: Boat cover
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought some sunbrella material off of eprey along with some brass grommets and two plastic zippers. After taking a few measurements, I had my wife use her home sewing machine to make a two piece cover with the break at the center beam, that just drapes over the hulls. The Sunbrella does last a lot longer than the blue tarps and handles the wind much better as well.

Harbor Freight sells hole punches that you chuck up in your drill motor. I used them and a plastic cutting board to create the holes for the brass grommets. Don't forget to put grommets in the middle of your tarp for drainage.

I also have a cutom made cover, and must agree is a PITA to put on and take off.

If you can't sew, but know how to use a measuring tape and scissors, you could run a bead om 3M 5200 around the edge, fold the edge over and clamp between a couple of 1 x 2"s. This might be hard to do near the zipppers that you will need to install around the shroud lines. A little hand stitching may be in order there, and you could use velcro, if you planned it right.

Good luck!

TC