Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 21 is sleeping, too, but it's not covered. Should it be covered (against snow etc.) ?

And...I've heard some people talk about fiberglass soft spots. I checked my hulls and no soft spots...but what causes soft spots? Is is a rot or storage-related thing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sea2 wrote:
My 21 is sleeping, too, but it's not covered. Should it be covered (against snow etc.) ?

Covering the boat mainly just protects against UV damage- gelcoat fading. If you live in an area that gets heavy snow, be sure the boat is well supported on the trailer, otherwise excessive snow weight can damage the hulls. Also, if you "tent" a tarp over the mast, the snow weight can damage the mast.

Quote:
And...I've heard some people talk about fiberglass soft spots. I checked my hulls and no soft spots...but what causes soft spots? Is is a rot or storage-related thing?

Soft spots are caused by a break down of the fiberglass/foam sandwich. Either the fiberglass delaminates from the foam, one of the fiberglass skins cracks, or the foam deteriorates. This can be caused by a number of things. A strong impact (like ramming the side of the boat into a dock or jumping up and down on the hull) can cause the fiberglass skin to crack or delaminate from the foam core. Allowing water to remain in the hull for long periods can allow moisture to eventually penetrate into the foam core and cause the core to break down which is why it's important to keep the inside of the hulls as dry as possible.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Soft Spots
Usually caused by someone walking on top of the hulls Never Ever let someone walk the center of the hulls Walk on the edges if necessary
I cover my boat to keep leaves off the hulls and tramps and to help keep water out of the wing holes in the hulls
Also covers the rigging and blocks
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
... Allowing water to remain in the hull for long periods can allow moisture to eventually penetrate into the foam core and cause the core to break down which is why it's important to keep the inside of the hulls as dry as possible.

sm

This is where i "Wish" i had the money to make a Hobie-21se with a
Nomex-honeycomb core, as it is impervious to water and has a WAY
better compression/ratio than a foam core .

I Think the Stiletto-27 is made from it ?
http://www.latitude8yachts-a-nightmare. ... o%2027.jpg

I seen a picture of one broken in 1/2 just in front
of the froward-X-beam ; guess it needed more something
in that spot !

Bille