Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks - your thoughts on how you've solved this problem...

problem: the jib car on my Hobie 21SE releases downward. Even with the block adjusted in it's most upward position - when the jib sheets are under a lot of pressure - it's hard to release. No amount of slapping the jib sheet results in a reliable release. The problem is compounded when you get out on the wing and on the trapeze - of course this is when you want to be able to release the jib at a moments notice every time...

My jib car has a block with a becket and an adjustable cleat that the sheets are led through that pivots up and down. The block has a spring underneath it and is shackled to the jib car. I'll post a picture tonight. I'm sure it's stock / original equipment.

I've noticed that for the Hobie 16 you can get a jib car that releases upward - but I'm concerned that will not take the load of the H21SE.

Any thoughts on the best way to resolve this issue? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks - Andy

Foster, OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the Prosail series, Pete Melvin and his crew solved this problem by taking the cam cleats off the boat. John hand held the jib sheet. I changed mine to the big Harken fixed base swivel cams mounted in the track, that release upward, since my Wife crewed for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom - got any pics of that set-up? "the big Harken fixed base swivel cams mounted in the track, that release upward"? Can you still buy that set-up? that could be the trick for my girlfriend as well!

cheer - Andy

Foster, OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have found that I have better luck snapping aft and down with the emphasis on aft. I'm not sure why it works, but it does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed the cams from the blocks and screwed them to the wings so I could quickly cleat or uncleat the jib from the trapeze. I like it so much that I mounted two more cams per wing, one for the main and two at different places for the jib sheet. This all worked well until I purchased new wing covers. I did not want any holes in my new wing covers ,so I filled in those old screw holes on the wings and have sailed without the cams on the wings.....I sure miss those easy to use cam cleats....... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptAndy wrote:
Tom - got any pics of that set-up? "the big Harken fixed base swivel cams mounted in the track, that release upward"? Can you still buy that set-up? that could be the trick for my girlfriend as well!

cheer - Andy

I'll post some later. I'm away from home, where the boat is, this week. They are the big cruiser swivels. I can't remember how I mounted them. That was 26 years ago. Very easy to cleat and release from any position.

It's this one: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.asp ... &taxid=375

Not cheap though. The cam swivels are mounted in a fixed position-not on a slide.