Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Deck Plates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy all,
What make\model deck plates are you using on the Hobie 21SE?
I have what appear to be stock (almost) 8" Viking pop\pry ports, but there is no part number.
The trouble is that Viking could not tell me if the current pop in ports will fit. The dimensions seem off when I told them what size mine are.
The local-ish hobie dealer says that they do not have any of the ports anymore.
I lost one of mine when I turtled my boat last weekend :-)
I ordered an 8" viking turn lock port, but it is way too big to fit in the stock location.

-Todd

Post subject: Re: Hobie Deck Plates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

37370013 DECKPLATE 8" PRY-OUT-WHITE (5 left in stock) $20.00 USD / USA 7-2014

BECKSON DP83-W

or replace with Hobie Twist and Seal. Lids are hinged so the don't get lost.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have replaced my several times.

The originals were the pull out with a role handle. Water would migrate through the rope over time...

Second, I tried the white screw in deck plates and they yellowed over time...others flew off driving down to Florida...my bad... :lol:

Than, I used the black screw in and they weathered much better than the white ones...

Than ,I stepped hard on one and cracked the flange part....so.... :x

Currently one deck plate is the newer style hinged with locking screw down handle. I had to trim out 3/8" all around of the old size hole to get it to fit. Than use silicon caulking as filler over that contour deck.

The fit is OK , I could have done a better job with the silicon as I tighten down the small bolts... maybe some spacers...but the lid can't fall off and get lost at Sea.... :shock:

This style is more suitable for the kayaks...and don't seem to be as water tight as the screw in style unless you "assist" the water seal with your foot............ :?

I keep a 80 quart cooler half full of ice cold beer under that deck plate so ....the bartender (my crew) can keep me hydrated.... :wink: ...and not lost the lid...

Maybe some spray foam insulation (marine quality) as flotation and a string attacked inside the hull could mitigate the chance to lost one at sea.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks!
Matt, do you have the pop-in ports in black? Perhaps that is why the dealer said there were none left.
I'd rather keep them if I can replace my black one.

Bill, losing the port was a bummer, I think my water bottle came out of the cooler and hit the port from inside the hull when I rolled. It was totally my fault, I was solo and pinched my hand in the trap line as I swung out. This made me drop the sheet and before I could recover it, I was hit by a big puff. I tried to turn up, but a little too late. I was racing a 2005 tiger and he said that I was on the edge for more than 60 seconds :-) It felt like forever. Finally the boat finished tipping over. I then learned an important lesson. I can't unhook from the trap sitting on the wing when the boat is on it's side. I could have dropped off onto the (NEW!) sail and prevented a turtle or ride it down and over so I could unhook. I chose to save the sail and let the boat turtle. I almost had enough time to wiggle out of my harness, but not quite :-) My Gill harnesses have a quick release and that would have worked great, but I was wearing my hobie harness as it is WAY more comfortable.
Of course when the port came off, the starboard hull filled with water. This became an issue as I had to be on the trap to counter the roll of the boat with one hull full. A power boat helped so I could get on the trap to keep the boat on it's feet for the trip in. I beached her, pulled the plug and pumped the water out, moved the port to the leward side and set off to restart the race around the island. Moving the port added a new job to each tack, but I still beat the tiger upwind. I had to leave the spinnaker on the beach because I put a little tear in it during the drama, so he killed me on the downwind leg. All and all a pretty good day :-) looking forward to a rematch tomorrow!

-Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Stock was white... white is what we have.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FWIW.
Maybe you guys already do this but I run my aft trap bungee through the rope loop on the hatch. As long as the bungee doesn't break or come unhooked the hatch should stay attached to the boat if it pops out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd,

Glad to hear your back in business with new to you but "vintage" access covers. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a million Bill! I got your package and the port popped right in place :-)
I am back up and sailing. I just need to remember to put the lid on the cooler so the water bottles don't knock the port off.
Well, that or don't turtle the boat!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Bill 404 wrote:
This style is more suitable for the kayaks...and don't seem to be as water tight as the screw in style unless you "assist" the water seal with your foot............ :?

Use a spray silicone on the cylinder that the seal slides into. It does not need to be flush to seal, but closes easily when properly lubricated. Silicone is critical... petroleum will ruin the o-ring. I use mine in the surf (kayak surfing) and am constantly submersed. Seals well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)