Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H21SE sails
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I know they are baggy, I forgot the down-haul block on the old sail so I didn't have much purchase.

I got these from Chip Buck at http://www.whirlwindsails.com/
He was great to work with and did my custom graphics better than I had hoped.
It is a no-brainer since Hobie no longer has our sails.
Great people, great product, great price!

-Todd

Post subject: Re: New H21SE sails
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Super Cool.... :D

I'm thinking about a new jib and those photos sold me on Whirlwind........ :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bill, I couldn't be happier with Chip!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Todd,

for motivating me into a new red jib sail like your from Whirlwind Sails :D

....it arrived today...now I want to get a new main sail... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bill,
50 degrees is plenty warm enough, get that boat out of hibernation and let's go break in that new jib!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome Bill!
It made a huge difference on my boat. The old jib didn't look bad, but I can point so much higher with the new sail.
Plus I think the red looks spiffy :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want Whirlwind Sails to build me a furling reacher sail next. I have talked with Chip @ Whirlwind...

so now to pull together a spinnaker pole and mount it so I can get the measurement for this reacher sail. I am using a part from an ultra lite plane for the pole, 2 1/4 " round by 13' 3" long. I will shorten if needed.

I want a sail that is easy to use as I usually solo sail....... :D

...if i waited for crew, I would sail less... :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Heya Bill,
Fill me in on what Chip said!
A while back I asked him about a new Spin but at that time he only had molds for the original sail. I want a more modern flatter design.
I'm really thinking about doing a roller furler spin that I can drop down on the upwind leg like the big boys.
I'd love to get it from Chip!

Sorry that I missed your request for my spinnaker pole setup in another thread.
Here are the basics in text form; I’ll snap some pictures on Sunday when I have light. Not all of us are retired as yet ☺

The pole:
I have a few. I’m currently using an aluminum extruded pole that I purchased locally at a steel place. I think it was about $35 for 20 feet. I will insert the measurements here when I upload the pictures. I had the original pole end that came from who knows where but it works well enough. I plan to machine a few more pole ends in different sizes this winter out of aluminum, for the carbon wind surfing masts that I picked up a few weeks ago.

Basically, the pole I’m currently using has a ~9/16” slot on the boat end of the pole that allows the pole to slide over the vertical bar of the dolphin striker. The pole is then held in place by a 2”quick pin. I have a clamp that I attach to the striker that stops the pole from sliding down the striker.

At the mid pole I have an eye strap (riveted) that attaches to the bottom of the forestay/roller furler with a swivel and amsteel line. This allows me to pre-bend the pole. I disconnect the swivel and use a bungee to hold the pole during transport.

At the pointy end I have a plug that goes in the end of the pole. The plug has three holes drilled through in a triangle pattern. The bottom two holes allow a single line to attach to each hull (stays) with a knot behind the plug (inside the pole) to prevent the pole from moving toward either hull. I attach these lines to the hulls with a clevis so I can remove them quickly for transport. The third and upper hole is for the spinnaker tack. The tack line runs from the sail in the bag outside all stays and into the upper hole, through ~¾ the length of the pole comes out through a hole on the top side of the pole just forward of the crossbar, and is cleated on the crossbar of the boat. Pull the tack line and the sail is pulled from the bag out to the end of the pole.

I used to have the spinnaker rigged to pull the tack out as you raise the halyard, but my crew likes them separate for some reason that I still don’t understand, but what the heck, gotta keep ‘em happy.

The sheets are a single line that passes through a ratcheting block attached to the aft outside end of each wing seat and run forward to the same side of the spinnaker. Yeah, kinda mind bending to picture and setup the first time, but it makes sense when you see it.

To recap, the pole has a slot all the way through one end, just large enough to fit over the dolphin striker, and long enough to drill a hole to pin behind the striker, a slotted hole on top of the pole just far enough forward to have the tack line make a nice transition from inside the pole to the top of the cross bar, an eye strap just forward of the forestay, and a way to attach the pole stays to the front of the hulls and allow exit of the tack.

I hope the pictures will help illustrate the setup, but of course feel free to ask questions.

Todd