Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to check and see if there is any issue with raising the mast using the spin tang.
I have installed an electric winch on the trailer and I have been raising the mast single handed for the last several weeks.
It works slick but I started to worry about the stress on the mast. It only seems to be high for a few seconds but I'd like to hear if anyone has any input.
Thoughts?

-Todd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a couple of trap wires with my A frame on the trailer, and a hand cranked winch. My system is a two person job though, because I stay on the tramp to keep the mast from flopping side to side. We do crank it until the forestay can be fastened, and with enough tension that there is no further need to tension the rig. I'd be a little scared to go that far with an electric winch, especially with all the tension on rivets in fiberglass. If you don't pretension the rig like that, and are very careful, it sounds okay, but I've seen electric winches pull clamps off of wire rope, so I'm sure it could de-rivet the kite tang.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom, I was more worried if the spin tang was strong enough to lift the stick.
I just grab the spin halyard (attached to the winch) after the mast is up, and pull hard by hand to get enough tension to pin the bridle.
I do have to pull pretty hard.
How do I set the diamond wire tension? The hobie info seems a bit vague to me.
How much tension should be in the stays?
Thanks for all the help!
I have been able to beat an F18 tiger around our long course. Well, only when we are each single handed and no Spins, and the wind is up. I usually beat him upwind, but it has to be blowing for me to hold him on the downwind leg. It will be interesting to see how I do when we both fly kites. Easy for him solo, tough for me. It gets closer each week. If the wind is light and shifty, he kills me downwind. I have to sail pretty shallow to make good speed and though I'm faster he goes faster deeper. Any advice would be much appreciated. In modest wind I have the main traveler about half out, the main sheet tight. Down and out haul loose, loose preventer (doesn't seem to move all that far in any case) and the Jib track just a little back of full forward. As my speed picks up I sheet the Jib in tight and the boat really goes. I try to point it back down on the puffs and keep it moving fast. Again if it is windy I can make ground, but in modest wind, I have a heck of a time keeping him behind me.

-Todd