Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone ever consider replacing the hook on an SE with the SC tip and a low stretch halyard?
Is the SC mast head block different from the SE? I would think so to carry the extra load of a downhauled main.
Will the SC Masthead with block fit on the SE comptip? Or is it easier to just fit the SE tip with a stronger block and low stretch halyard.
I'm getting tired of the hook, as good as it may work for tensioning the main. It s a PIA for reefing underway and when the hook fouls with the main raised I end up having to capsize the boat to clear the foul. No Martha, I'm not climbing up the mast.

I believe that the hook was designed to eliminate a wire going to the masthead during the days Hobie was getting sued for bozos hitting overhead wires. But in those days there was no non-metallic line that was low enough stretch and small enough to carry the halyard load. Now there is and it would allow replacing the clumsy hook.
Any thoughts?

Post subject: Non stretch halyard
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the idea, but it does add more stress to the mast if you crank the downhaul I guess.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry Brian,

I apparently missed this post last year. Caught it when Dan replied. I think we talked about this on the phone. But for the benefit of others, I'll do an actual reply.

As a disclaimer, I've seen both boats here, but never at the same time.

The SE runs the halyard back down the inside of the luff track, instead of down the front of the mast like the SC. That's why the SE has a hook at the top. If you put as much tension on the SE masthead as is on the SC masthead, you'd torque the masthead right out of the Comptip.

It's not a matter of the block strength. It's the leverage exerted on a pulley system offset from the vertical axis of the mast. You'll pop the rivets at the front of the mast cap... Or worse, rip out the glass in the Comptip.

And I don't think the SC masthead will fit the SE Comptip (Matt?). Yes, the two heads are different. For others trying to keep up - the SC head looks like an H-16 head (dual sheaves). The SE head looks like the 17 and 18 heads (single sheave).

And... I'm willing to bet that even if the SE and SC use the same extrusion that the SE Comptip is significantly longer than the SC. So no, Dorothy, you can't use an SC comptip on the SE.

I do understand the reefing issues. I just don't see a good solution.

There's nothing wrong with climbing the mast. Just ask Aris...

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an SC, and I just added a hook at the top of the comptip, like the SE to try to prevent the luff pull out issue. Reading that you have the same problem on your SE, makes me wonder if there really is a solution and if I just wasted my time.

I have yet to sail with my new addition so I don't know if it's going to work or not. I also replaced most of the plastic luff track with the aluminum version. Lastly, Worst Marine has Vectran line on sale at the moment, and I'm thinking of buying some of it. 1/4" is probably overkill, but I'm tired of turning the boat over to clear the foul, only to have more serious issues arise. At .5% stretch over 30 feet, it's about 2 inches...if I figured it right at 15% of it's break point. So the hook may not be needed if the new metal track does it's job. Time will tell.

One more thing, I have to tell you how impressed I am with Vectran. Believe it or not, it's used on some Satellite separation band systems, where two halves of a spring loaded band are held together with a Vectran cord. We loaded the cord up with a few hundred ft pounds of torque and used an Xacto knife to do a manual separation. Amazingly, the cord held with >95% of it's strands cut.

Good luck.