Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2024 iTrek Models are updated with an accessory mount built into the front of the Mirage drive well. This can be used to attach the Hobie Kayak Bimini.

Can the regular or i-Series Sail Kit now be used with this mount on the iTreks?

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like they use a non i-sail judging from lack of shrouds:

Might have quite some wx helm, but worth it how ever. Excuse me while I shoot myself for getting an earlier model.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will be purchasing an iTrek 14 Duo in the next two months. Think I'll build a drop-in daggerboard for the Mirage Drive well for sailing. But even if I end up only being able to use it downwind I'll be happy.

Hmmm. In theory you could use two sail kits on the Duo. Ha Ha.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanx for the heads up; I remember Mr Miller promising to relay a utility socket request but I didn't expect to see it. I will await to hear your debug experiences whether this clever approach works ok. I think you can start by just bungeing the pedal shafts together to form a static daggerboard (preserving kickup). There is a way to bungee your drive in use without restricting pedaling; that way you don't forget to keep the fins straight down when not in action. Maybe consider turbo fins.

I would consider 2 sails (maybe find used ones) because the old tandem hobie i14 used to seem so underpowered in videos that I think it might lose rudder authority and get turned by waves. My old beloved i12 kayak hated downwind because the boomless sail would taco, but loved upwind when the sheet stretched into a nice airfoil. For fun I used to "sail by the lee" with tight sheet downwind, or you could add a boom-batten which can also help reaches.

Waves can give a yaw problem at least for the solo craft, so try short fetches before passing judgement. OK, I need to find a doctor who will prescribe an Itrek 9 ultralight as a medical device for my frail back. I am a bit skeptical that utility hole is forward enough to avoid weather helm (which even my old i12 had and thus I raked mast forward) but maybe I can balance with a jib :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have much experience sailing non-inflatable tandems, mainly Oasis and Outfitters. Very familiar with the bungee method to keep drive fins vertical as daggerboards though, honestly, our testing did not reveal much noticeable benefit on these kayaks. Downwind I use a piece of pvc pipe as a whisker pole to maintain sail shape. On the Oasis kayaks the mast is pretty much midship, too far aft for good upwind performance. A smaller sail forward would help but too big and it will overpower the rudder. The Outfitters point a bit better.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

plfinch wrote:
Can the regular or i-Series Sail Kit now be used with this mount on the iTreks?

When I look at the new non-i sailkit instructions, there are 3 notes about i-Trek use, and I suppose it includes a couple of extra connectors. First need a padeye near base of the mast to receive a hook which brings bungee tension down from the sail. Next need a shackle on the rear handgrip to route the sheet in more slippery fashion.

https://www.hobie.com/support/mirage-sail-kit/

I suppose I could even adapt my old i-sail. I have a concern there will be even more waves rolling over the bow with the added sail downforce. That was the case with a custom sail put on the old i-11s, but his mast was more forward of the well. I always wondered if the 9 foot hull would be better powered than the 11 with same size sail, but may be a semi submersible ride :)