Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i12 Problem(s) report
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had my i12 about 2 months and love it. I use it about once per week and I suspect I have influenced at least 4 sales from all the good things I have to say about it to interested observers.
However, I also have come across a few problems that should be considered for future improvements.

1. The paddle holders do not provide a tight enough grip. This may be a design problem with too large a holder dimension or a large manufacturing variation. I lost my paddle this weekend sometime during an otherwise great day. One moment it was secure in the paddle holders , then it was gone, presumably jarred lose by a wave, but not big enough to recognize it. I now need a replacement paddle that I guess I will need to strap on somehow.
( Hey Matt , any way for a good customer that helps sells kayaks for you to get a discount on a replacement ? )

2. The fore stay came lose at the top fitting and the mast came down in moderate ( 10 mph ) wind. This appeared to be a quality/mfg problem. I was able to tie the stay to the strap and this now seems to be holding fine.

3. The clips that holds the sail stay have stretched open so that the stay can dangle lose from the tie down when there is enough slack in the stay. This also happened recently, the leeward stay was lose then I came about, and down went the mast. Appears to be a component/material problem.

4. Rust - The stainless steel screws that hold the hatch have begun to rust. I fresh water wash after every use. Mostly cosmetic ... but ugly ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I use a light bow line (550 parachute cord). It's easy to secure the other end to your paddle so it is always attached to the boat. Even in use, it doesn't get in the way. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Admin

If you are pushing the sailing performance, I can see where some of the components are on the weak side. I would bypass the plastic hooks and tie to the rings.

I figure a knot came loose on the forestay attachment?

See your dealer about a paddle replacement. Have them call us and we will consider a "good faith" adjustment in cost. I suggest storing the paddle within the cockpit if in rough seas while sailing. Same issue on all the kayaks. If we made the holders tighter it would be too hard to snap the paddle in or get it out.

Rust... always an issue in a marine environment. I will pass this on to our buyers. Sometimes stainless quality varies, especially in fasteners. What you are seeing is a surface rust caused by machine tooling. Small carbon bits from cutting tools rust off the surface. The screws are fine. That is why it is called "Stain-Less" rather than "Stain-Free" :) You can use a product called Magica to easily remove rust stains.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Follow-up
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the response Matt.

I like the idea of the plastic hooks for the convenience as well as maybe the safety factor that they will break before damaging the mast or ring/hull attachment. Maybe I will look for an alternative.

I am not sure how the forestay was originally attached. It was covered with plastic shrinkwrap. It seems like there is some crimp or something holding it. If it was just a knot , then not a big deal.

I will talk to my dealer about the Paddle , Thank you.

I will look for the rust remover.

Post subject: Re: Follow-up
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

instigator wrote:
I am not sure how the forestay was originally attached. It was covered with plastic shrinkwrap. It seems like there is some crimp or something holding it. If it was just a knot , then not a big deal.

i had the same problem with my forestay, it broke. I think the way it's attached under this black shrinwrap is the weak point. There was a metal clip.

I have now doubled all the lines so no more knots on top under shrinkwrap, it's not convenient for checking purpose. The only knots i have are on the hooks and are easily visible.

No more problems since then.

Hugues
Switzerland