Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a question about the PVC material used for the inflatable kayaks. Generally speaking, there are two materials used for inflatable dinghies - PVC and Hypalon. The conventional wisdom is that Hypalon is the superior material. The problem with PVC is that it will degrade more quickly as a result of UV exposure, it is less resistant to abrasions, and it can be damaged by fuel and oil. Some dinghy owners have experienced that PVC gets sticky and tacky after about two years service outdoors. The problem with Hypalon is that it is significantly more expensive.

I like the idea of an inflatable kayak. But I want something that will give reasonable service. I plan to use it as a tender for my boat and space is the issue. When not in use I would deflate and bag it to minimize exposure to the sun, but it will live outdoors. Does anyone have feedback on this concern?

I am going to purchase a Hobie tandem. It is just a question of whether I will purchase the inflatable version or a hard shell.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: PVC?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi,

i'm into my second season now and i can't see any change of color or deterioration like cracks, stains,...it's very good quality.

But then when i'm finished using it i wipe it off and place it back in its bag and keep in my garage. In the winter i lay it flat on a table in my basement, deflated. When on camping i left it inflated under the sun for a few days.

If you are going to leave it outside when not in use, i guess you should keep it in the shades and protected from the rain. Don't know about the winter though, if you have one of course.

cheers
Hugues
Switzerland