Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just interested in possible locations for the rod holder mounts and any hints or suggestions on glueing. i assume you should roughen up the back of the plastic mount b4 glueing, and that the kayak should be inflated. thanks for feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've mounted several items now to my i9 and i12. I've cleaned and scuffed (In that order!) and then made sure I buttered on a good thin but complete epoxy coverage of the bonding area, before mounting to the boat while FULLY inflated. Then, for the rod holders, I applied about 40 lbs of weight from my workout bench, putting a dowel thru the center and into the rod holder base that I pre-attached to the mount. I practiced the setup several times until I had everything positioned and outlined exactly the way I wanted, and was sure it would stay in place over night, before applying the epoxy. I've had excellent results. Better even than some of the smaller factory installed components IMHO - I've had 2 factory installed pad eyes and the factory installed sailing/mast mount come lose after long days on the salts under very very hot and direct sunlight. I repaired them the way I just described and they are better than they were when I got the boats. I check all the attachments before and after each trip now and would recommend the same to anyone. My very 1st rod holder was not so successful. The attachment was fine, but I used longer than recommended bolts. I figured no big deal, I'll just use washers. Well, salt water made its way down into the threaded area and developed into a corrosive mess. It took a bit to clean it out and do it right, and then seal it tight. One other important tip - at least I think it important - is to take note of where your boat folds when deflated and packed away, and be sure not to mount anything on the folds. I tried inserting pictures of the items on my boat, but the best I could figure to do was insert some sort of command with no pictures. Anyway, hope this helps.