Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am an otherwise happy Hobie I-Mirage customer (own two I-9s and an I-14) but am looking for help with a very quick leak in the floor / keel of my I-14. I have lots of experience with repair of inflatable dinghy's and kayaks and tried multiple "soap bubble" searches for the leak but after repeatedly searches of valve, topside and undersides suspect leak maybe internal to "bilge" area which is can't be accessed.

Hull is HCC BK042 1708 and was purchased new in 2008 March 2008.

Any ideas appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

May require cutting an access through the bollom material to gain access. That can then be easily repaired.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you repair the bottom/rubber? I assumed the repair kit was for the top/delrin only?

Separate question (sorry to hijack this thread): Will a FF transducer shoot thru the bottom/rubber?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Same material type... same glue. Just heavier duty. We have some here if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking we have the same problem with one of our 2009 I9s boats. The center has a slow leak. I've sprayed soapy water everywhere and I'm not seeing any bubbles. I tried to get the valve out to see what I could see but it is really on there. Normal?

This is our 2009 I9s that is used by my gal and doesn't get much use. It is a real slow leak so we tend to be an hour out and the bottom gets softer and softer. Maybe that is part of why it sees little use... Has anyone tried "fix a flat" or something similar? Is there a FAQ that describes how to open the thing up (and get it closed again?) If I send it back to the factory how long is the turnaround (and what will it cost) to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sneakypete wrote:
I'm thinking we have the same problem with one of our 2009 I9s boats. The center has a slow leak. I've sprayed soapy water everywhere and I'm not seeing any bubbles. I tried to get the valve out to see what I could see but it is really on there. Normal?

This is our 2009 I9s that is used by my gal and doesn't get much use. It is a real slow leak so we tend to be an hour out and the bottom gets softer and softer. Maybe that is part of why it sees little use... Has anyone tried "fix a flat" or something similar? Is there a FAQ that describes how to open the thing up (and get it closed again?) If I send it back to the factory how long is the turnaround (and what will it cost) to fix.

same problem with my i9 inflatable... floor section leaks (can hear the air coming out of the front (bilge) plug while inflating...