Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I decided to check my new boat for a leak (the old one was returned to the dealer because of a leak in the bow compartment; see according post), because we wanted to go on a longer peddle-trip tomorrow....
Now I have to vent my anger:
Found the Same leak, but other side of the boat - just in front of the bow compartment the several layers of pvc again doesn't seem to be glued together properly!!!!! With the old one it was the left side before the hatch, with the new one it is the right side; not as much water as before, but as well water drippling inside the compartment. Tried to phone my dealer, but have to wait for a call-back, because he's busy right now.

With the first leak I thought 'Okay, (censored) happens', but now......
HOBIE/MATT - do you have a quality problem with the inflatables?
Has anybody else checked his bow compartment for water leaking in and has been 'successful'?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had my I14t since may, and have logged many miles. I have had some water in the
bilge a couple of times, but only a cup or so. Most of the time it is dry. I really have
had no issues with the quality of my boat and customer service has been great.

Boxs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Boxs
Have you had a chance to check where the water did come from?
In the beginning I thought it was coming in maybe because the hatch wasn't closed properly or the small screw opening right beside the hatch wasn't closed. Only when I started at home to look for a leak and put some water in the area in front of the hatch I noticed that it really was a leak caused by the material....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ralf-hobie

No, I didn't check. Its only happened a couple of times and it
just doesn't seem to be a problem.

Boxs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@Matt
Matt, maybe you can help with support....
As you may remember the first i14T I purchased, had a leak, with water coming in the front compartment. I got it replaced, but the second one has the same leak, only at the other side in front of the compartment. Now my dealer has tested the i12T he has in stock for a leak (he sealed the drive opening, filled the seat area with water and then gave air pressure into the front compartment through the small opening at the compartment side) and got a lot of air bubbles coming up (see pictures). He then contacted the European distributor in Netherlands, and they contacted (as they said) Hobie USA - but only got the answer 'there are no problems', no other statement from Hobie USA.
As all the people here in the forum know Hobie as a company always interested in customer support and satisfaction, I really cannot believe that. The dealer said, that without any doubt I will get another replacement but I'm afraid that the replacment might have the same leak, too.
So maybe you can check with your technicians or whatever department is responsible, why Hobie Europe hasn't got a proper statement and what is going to happen.
Thanks a lot
Ralf
As I was not able to link the photos as images, I only can post the link to the photos. Hope it works
http://picasaweb.google.com/Scudoforum/ ... 4616381154
http://picasaweb.google.com/Scudoforum/ ... 6691295330

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Sorry I didn't see these posts earlier. FYI... While I try to get in here often... I do not get a chance to read every post. Always best to get help starting with a dealer.

As a whole... we are not seeing this kind of leak, but it is an inflatable product and has a "bilge" for a reason. Every kind of boat is subject to leaks.

The bilge is not intended to have pressure, so it is not a good test. You can actually damage the boat this way.

I will forward a link of this topic to our engineer responsible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The bilge is not intended to have pressure, so it is not a good test. You can actually damage the boat this way.

Thanks a lot, Matt, for your quick response and your support. Looking forward to hear the technicians' answer! I know that there are a lot of posts in this forum and that it's not quite easy to keep a look at all... Therefor, I really appreciate what your are doing here for this community and want to say especially 'thank you' for that!

Regarding the qote above, may I quote the answer you gave me in another post...
" Post subject: Re: water in the bow compartment
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 18:46
I would use a small amount of pressure into the forward drain hole to slightly pressurize the bilge area. Use soapy water to see where air escapes. That is far easier and safer. Yes, you could have a leak between the pieces that is not a pressurized chamber leak."
The dealer only 'slightly pressurized'.....

Ralf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Good to hear.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I will forward a link of this topic to our engineer responsible.

Matt, have you got an answer from your technician yet?
My dealer is also still waiting for a reply from the european distributor.....

Ralf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have nothing new to offer on this one.

I'm not sure they found a "defect" here that they could offer "corrective" measures on. I don't read here where you identify the amount of water found in the bilge, but remember a few things... All inflatables are subject to a % pressure loss over 24 hours. The bilge is a place for water to gather, so water is expected here.

I'll ask the engineers to review your post again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the distributor had already been in contact with warranty and engineering on this one. The lead engineer has responded on this again. Follows is the situation.

<<It is not unusual for some water to leak into the bilge. All of our kayaks, both hard and inflatable will leak small amounts of water to the insides. Being above the waterline, this type of seam "leak" will not let much water in and is not compromising the bouyancy or strength of the kayaks. These seams are in fact primarily cosmetic.>>

So, as I suspected... This is really not an issue due to the "above waterline" seam we are talking about. You can further seal these if you desire, but the design and the manufacture of these do not require pressure sealed seams in this area.

To reiterate... the bilge area is not supposed to be pressurized for use. It has nothing to do with the buoyancy of the kayak and is simply a chamber between the floor and the water flow below the kayak.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)