Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I12 with sail questions
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering getting one, Sailing is my main reason,
It seems the hole the sail mounts in is about 1 inch deep, the hard kayaks are about 4 inches deep.
Is this strong enough to hold the mast?
I know there are strings on the side.

Also please tell me how yours sails.

Thanks Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I e-mailed custom service a similiar question, and they responded as follows: The mount should be slightly larger than the diameter of the mast. The mount on the boat is just to hold the mast in position, but will not provide any support. Attach the three lines to hold up the mast and snug them up. This will hold the sail upright.

I also asked the question under the topic "I14 sailing" - refer to Matt Miller's response.

I just purchased the sail kit for my I14 and was afraid to take the kayak out as the mast doesn't seem too stable in the mount. If anyone else has experience with sailing an inflatable, I would appreciate any advice.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Two entirely different mounting systems.

The hardshell Hobies support the mast and sail entirely by means of the mast sleeve. This requires no stays or additional mast supports.

The inflatables support the mast completely with the 3 stays. These triangulate the mast, just as a tripod supports a camera. Needing no additional support from the mast mount, a sleeve is not necessary. The little pocket only needs to keep the mast base from dancing around the cockpit and provide a puncture proof seat for the mast.

Each method has its advantages. The hardshell mast is quicker to set up -- just drop it in. On the other hand, the inflatable mast is adjustable for rake to help offset weather helm. Both styles dump wind when necessary to augment boat stability (by different methods -- one by bending, one by leaning).

They both work well, yet each is best suited to the different style of boat construction that accommodates their use. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How it sails: It sails fun. It's hard for me respond without sounding like a paid company rep.
Think about the name on the side. I've been astounded at the attention to detail and quality of engineering with every Hobie product I've seen. My i12 is no different.
The 3 stays (strings) must be pretty tight to prevent excessive movement of the mast.