Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof Transport
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some of the launch points I visit locally are very muddy and make for a nasty day once I get everything setup. I am interested in transporting my i12s on top of my car but want to make sure I do everything right.

Anyone have any pics and or info outside of the product manual regarding this? Pics would be great. Looks like it should be transported upside down and secured to the front and rear bumper. Looking at using the Yakima foam blocks as a cushion.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Roof Transport
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey etazeta,

we transport our inflatables every now and then on the car roof...like you said, upside down will be the best. the only thing to make sure of is whatever you use to support the kayak, roof rack, foam block, etc. make sure they are tall enough so front hatch plate clears the roof of the car. we did not think about that the first time and now have some missing paint on the roof :D

great thing is it is the easiest boat to car top!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Euro,

I will make sure to check that. How fast have you gone with it on the roof? Is it safe for 70-75mph on the interstate?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah we drive on the interstate with normal speeds. we use two straps on the roof racks and the bow and stern lines to the bumpers...has not flown away yet :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry my i9 inflated on the top all the time, city driving, with no issue. I don't like highway driving due to the liner flapping - also if it loses air for whatever reason, or get's hit by road debris, I'm concerned it will work it's way out of the straps. It's so easy to inflate/deflate, I find it less stressful to simply carry it in the bag strapped to the top if I don't have room inside for whatever reason. Just my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's better to have a rack than a trailer coz the handling of the vehicle is way easier than having to haul something at the back of the car. You might have a lot of problem of tying up something on the bumpers but as long that you carry something smaller or the same length with your car, driving it is just a walk in the park.