Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave's Hobie i12s Setup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to share some progress with my i12s. Here are some links to photos & vids that I have on what I have done so far.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

-Dave

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqUfFTC3HU[/youtube]

I will have more details following...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool video! I had a very similar setup with same cutting board :D

After a lot of trial and error I discovered a few things that might help:

1. If you want the anchor trolley to work hassel free I'd consider moving the transducer to the rudder. The outrigger always ends up in the way. I also found the outrigger really noisy/turbulent. It's also one more thing for line/fish to get hung up on.

2. If you stick with the outrigger, at some point when you're on the water you'll need to raise the outrigger to clear weeds, when in shallows, to adjust the transducer if it gets knocked around etc. I'd consider modifying the mount so it can swivel up onto the gunnel.

3. I just throw the battery bag in the front hatch & leave the hatch ajar. Get a corrugated plastic wire manager to keep the wires running from hatch to the head unit neat & bundled. I loop & zip tie the excess wire & fuse together & put them in the bag.

4. I'd opt for a Ram electronics mount for the head unit. Very simple & effortless to swivel anywhere. I'd get nervous swiveling the cutting board around.

Sorry if I sound like a know it all, just been down this same road and hope to help!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's up GY? I actually stole your idea of the cutting board! I won't be moving it around too much once I have it on there. A few things about the transducer and why I opted to not put it on the rudder. I think once you know this you will understand my decisions.

1. I don't really fish very many weedy areas. That may change now that I have a yak, but willing to find out. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

2. The transducer sits low enough to be in the water, but it about as low as the mirage drive. when the flaps are up. I built it so that I can quickly release the pvcs from the scotty base and lay the set up in the kayak. Not sure how much of a pain that will be, but I am willing to find out. It's rather easy to disassemble.

3. Good idea about the hatch. Thanks!

4. I am also nervous about the cutting board. Once it's in place I will probably leave it there. I went this route because the adapter I bought wasn't the right one for the Lowrance Unit I have. Must have been a wrong description online. Now that I have the unit I will know which fits and which won't.

Thanks so much for the reply!

Oh, and the anchor trolley. I'm going to put one side around the fish finder, and the other on the other side where the anchor will attach. This way when the line is tight from the anchor being pulled it won't pull the sonar. Tested the scenario and it should work alright. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dave,

That's the fun of adapting inflatables for fishing - nothing's easy & there's always more than one way to do it!

I've found I use the forward trolley 95% of the time since I mostly face into the current. Have you considered moving the transducer arm to an accessory mount BEHIND the seat (not sure if you installed one there yet)? That would keep it clear of the most-used section of trolley & still use the system you've fabricated. Obviously the board & head unit could stay where they are.

Also, I found I had enough room on the board that I could mount a Scotty baitcaster rodholder behind the Lowrance head unit. Needed to add an extender arm though. A rocket launcher type would probably fit as well.

When adding all this stuff make sure you leave enough clear space on the gunnels to do a self rescue! Safety first & tight lines second.

- David