Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling the inflatables
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering... if you want to paddle rather than pedal (say, just to give your legs a rest) a beam of 36" seems a bit wide for a kayak paddle. So has anybody tried using a canoe single paddle with one of these boats? How well did it work?

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I prefer a single blade outrigger paddle

Last edited by katstep on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Kat. I thought it might be a good option for a wide boat. Glad to know it works.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know how far you are wanting to paddle, but I would use the stocked hobie paddle first before going out and buying a new one.. I paddle with the hobie and works just fine, but i only paddle 30 minutes or so or upper arm workout. I stand about 5ft. 10 in. so that is the arm span give or take a few inches.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have a boat at all yet, but next year I'll be retired, and living in a more suitable place both for storage and paddling.

My last kayak was a Feathercraft folder with a 24" beam, but for ease of re-entry, I want a sit-on-top as my next boat. My ideal Hobie would be the Revo 11. But an inflatable avoids the problems of getting it on to a car-top, and that's tempting. Right now, I'm just considering the options. Certainly, I wouldn't rush out to buy a different paddle until I had tried with the supplied Hobie one, and with my existing paddle (which I think would be a bit short, at 215 cm).

Thanks for the input,

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mary Skater wrote:
I don't have a boat at all yet, but next year I'll be retired, and living in a more suitable place both for storage and paddling.

My last kayak was a Feathercraft folder with a 24" beam, but for ease of re-entry, I want a sit-on-top as my next boat. My ideal Hobie would be the Revo 11. But an inflatable avoids the problems of getting it on to a car-top, and that's tempting. Right now, I'm just considering the options. Certainly, I wouldn't rush out to buy a different paddle until I had tried with the supplied Hobie one, and with my existing paddle (which I think would be a bit short, at 215 cm).

Thanks for the input,

Mary

Hey Mary,

I agonized over the two choices as well, to answer your question, I have tried both paddles and prefer the tradition kayak paddle over a canoe paddle. The inflatables just dont glide very well, and even tho its a bit of a reach, I can keep a much higher cadence with a kayak paddle and its much more enjoyable.

As for both boats, I ended up going with two i12's because I like to travel, and they pack up nice. I also have a small garage, so it was an easy way to start out. Not having to cartop is nice, especially on roadtrips - but having to inflate is a little bit slower however then an efficient cartop rack. The i12's are remarkably stable, and fairly fast little boats that track reasonably well (even better with a sailing rudder, a simple upgrade).

If you really like the idea of paddling, I would recommend checking out a Werner paddle (made by hand in the states), as they are feather light and REALLY hook up in the water, I have one now, and its a HUGE improvement for paddling over the stock Hobie paddles.

Best,

Graduating from adventure junkie to dealer. Get your fix at http://www.fasterfarther.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input, cryder. My own paddle is a 4-part British-made Lendal. If I needed a longer paddle, I could buy a new shaft and use my existing blades. All the Lendal joints are the same (and rock-solid) so you can mix-and-match bits.

The point about inflatables not gliding too well for using a single blade is valid. I would probably get the sailing rudder, regardless of which boat I buy. Everybody says it's a good upgrade, and I haven't seen anything against it.

Of the two inflatable singles, I prefer the look of the 12 to the 9. Just seems a more substantial boat, and probably worth the extra weight/ pack size/ price.

Mary