Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I need to have my rudder assembly replaced, due to a stripped tension screw...can't upgrade to steel wire steering w/o it.

Anyway, is this possibly a DIY job? I've watched the video on the wire upgrade, is there a video on how to replace the rudder assembly on the i11s?

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried using a slightly larger tension screw? This would be an easy fix for the tension screw holding the rudder to the rudder assembly. If you're wanting the full assembly, the i11 uses the following:

RUDDER ASSY W/SM BLADE - TWIST
US$ 69.99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HStrech wrote:
Have you tried using a slightly larger tension screw? This would be an easy fix for the tension screw holding the rudder to the rudder assembly. If you're wanting the full assembly, the i11 uses the following:

RUDDER ASSY W/SM BLADE - TWIST
US$ 69.99

I've tried "slightly larger" screw as you've suggested before, and it wouldn't fit. This is for the screw holding one of the steering lines to the rudder. Would help if you give me an exact size, or better yet have one in stock I can purchase. The tension screw in question stripped out the very first time I did a rudder adjustment, no cross-threading involved. It's good enough to serve as a post for tying off the spectra, but with the wire kit you need solid tension to keep the wire in place.

As for replacing the entire rudder assembly, my i11s is still under warranty and I'm in contact with a local dealer to have it replaced. However, the dealer that sold me the kayak knows nothing about my boat, or it seems to me Hobies in general. Had a terrible experience with them and not going back.

The dealer I'm talking to now is extremely helpful, but they are also a "new" dealer and I was wondering if there are unlisted instructional videos on DIY rudder replacement for the i-series I can consult (like your video on upgrading steering wire), so I can ascertain if replacing the rudder assembly is within my capability or not. If not, I'll go to the new dealer and hope for the best.

Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would recommend following through with the dealer you're working with now. They should be able to help you out on the install, and if the part is under warranty I would have them submit a claim. No current videos on the rudder install, but it's fairly simple...detach the lines from the tension screws, remove the pin holding the only rudder assembly onto the kayak, place the new rudder on the bracket and insert the pin. Running the lines is a little more involved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HStrech wrote:
Running the lines is a little more involved.

That's the bit I want to see on video! lol

Okay, I'll set it up with the new dealer, thanks for you time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Admin

There is a detailed twist and stow manual available. Take a look at it. It is for plastic kayaks mostly, but it shows the line routing into the rudder assembly towards the end in great detail.

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
There is a detailed twist and stow manual available. Take a look at it. It is for plastic kayaks mostly, but it shows the line routing into the rudder assembly towards the end in great detail.

Haha that is beyond me...

Could I just use a longer screw and nut assembly to clamp down on the wire steering line? The stripped screw hole is the right one, not the one on the drum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Could I just use a longer screw and nut assembly to clamp down on the wire steering line?

Yes!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Could I just use a longer screw and nut assembly to clamp down on the wire steering line?

Yes!

There is nowhere to drill through and mount a nut on the bottom side of the rudder...

Anyway, I ended up using heli-coil inserts to fix the stripped threads, might do the other side just for good measure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

Hi this is not for Hobie I11S ruuder system but for Hobie Outback?