Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i12s first impressions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Easy to wheel from home to a fetid nearby canal, where I quickly pumped up and rigged. A key challenge had been finding a 70+ liter drybag large enough to hold the pump wrapped up with the carrybag, which then fills most of the rear cargo area. I should have just lowered my fanny from land to boat, but tried a standing entry which left me in a split for a while, then a dunking. This may have saved me a puncture from a hidden metal stake directly forward, but exposed some open wounds to this famous denizen of the canal:

Quote:
Vibrio vulnificus is scarcely recognized by many microbiologists, less so by the public. Yet, in this country, the bacterium causes a disease with over a 50 percent mortality rate, and it causes 95 percent of all seafood-related deaths.

Anyway, my turbo fins just slung me down the canal; it was too bad all traffic was oncoming so I couldn't compare speeds. The only minor issue was the large rudder needed so much fine tuning... always turning it one hair this way or the other. Since the control is a slight stretch for me, I tried weightshifting the boat to adjust but that didn't affect a turn. So I will move seat forward to get the turn control more in reach.

Anyway I reached the busy harbor, which was a blast. The boat seemed to love riding choppy boat wakes... almost like it broke suction and the thing would leap happily forward. Easy to maneuver around the boats and piers except when reverse was needed, I headed for open ocean where I took a dunking to wash off that bacteria. For the first time it seemed less than rock stable, with the rear especially being susceptible to skidding from a large following wave. I had forgotten to read the wave size predictions, so turned back to savor that learning experience on another day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First sailing impressions in i12s:

I went by the online manual and stored the rolled up sail/mast alongside where the paddle brackets are. That was precarious, so in future I will carry it furled up in the original bag (you can't furl it erect like on a hardshell kayak). I can anticipate some challenge in folding and rolling the sail in high winds, just to get under a bridge.

Anyway I rigged the mast in a too forward raked position. I was biased by the rake of my pedals set to #7 max forward position and the same rake of the forward hatch. Of course this gave the i12s lee helm, wanting to bear off from wind and powering up the sail more. The normal preference is for weather helm, so if you let go of a tiller, it weathervanes safely into the wind and powers down.

But we shouldn't need weather helm since if you release controls it is the mainsheet rather than the rudder that flops free. So I plan to rake the mast a tad back, hoping for neutral helm which will reduce rudder deflection. But I don't want a stroke of the pedals to bite into the bungy downhaul, so will back them off to position 6.

Well, it worked pretty well in spite of me forgetting to rig a wind telltale to the headstay. It was funny that a few times I mentally drifted into tiller mode, which you push the opposite way than the i12s rudder control... oh well, unplanned tack. The layback position suitable for peddling seemed less comfy for sailing where I wanted to be more erect. Might try my seaeagle inflatable seat for that later, if cinching up the existing seat doesn't do the trick. Some moderate (4'?) waves caused no problem, neither did downwind jibes in light wind, and I could track upwind pretty well without being caught "in irons" while tacking.

Areas for improvement would be some light tinted polarized clip-on sunglasses. I want to look out for shallow spots that may conk my turbofins, but the normal polarized grey ones are too dark. I hear grey is the right color for water glare, but would mirror ones be better/lighter? Also I feel the need for glove protection, but ones made for water immersion are so darn expensive to keep replacing. Are there some cheapo ones made of nonslippery synthetic that will dry immediately... maybe kevlar butcher gloves? It really helps to have gloves to grasp the side handles, mainsheet, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oops, I should have added these to an old "review" thread. Anyway, others can add reviews there or here or where-ever.

daft wrote:
The only minor issue was the large rudder needed so much fine tuning... always turning it one hair this way or the other.

Well, I searched old threads for solutions for wandering or stiffness of the rudder. Wax, silicon spray, and extended handle was mentioned... but I just tried squirting the last of my drinking water up the rudder line housing and it became silky smooth. I launch and land the boat stern first at a 45 degree angle from up high, and those openings become filled with salt and filth. And the wandering went away when I tightened up the rudder cables as directed in the thread... I wonder if carrying a Philips screwdriver onboard for that is worth the risk of accidental puncture.

Like I mentioned in another thread I replaced the stock seat with a seaeagle inflatable kayak seat... the back support is wonderful beyond words. The height reduces your sensation of speed but improves your vision... easier to look behind you for some reason. And when my turbo fin mast got bent (woe is me, can't they include extras in those expensive one-packs?) the paddling seemed easier from more up high. A little tippy, but the air pressure can be set to raise you less.