Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a i9s bought in 2011 that is out of warranty. I recently developed a leak in the high pressure floor internally in the bilge. There are no apparent leaks externally. I can hear the air rushing out, in the bilge and if I close the bilge cap, the bilge will begin to puff up if I keep pumping the high pressure floor. The leak is very fast. Is this something a dealer can fix or will it need to go back to the factory? Are there any videos or procedures that an end user could use to attempt to fix themselves? I suspect this will not be the only leak over the course of it's life and would like to learn how to fix it myself.
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gatorb8 wrote:
Are there any videos or procedures that an end user could use to attempt to fix themselves?

I believe there are a bunch of old posts here about pouring some sealant into the valve (removed?) and sloshing it around the bladder, but of course would be better for small leaks. I think they sourced it from some marine store targeting rubber dinghy users. Otherwise can only guess someone might have to cut open an area just to expose the leak, and then fix both the leak and the original incision.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes, I saw those posts about toobseal and ordered some. I am not optimistic cause the leak is very fast. Would be great if there was a tutorial on how to open up and repair since some are experiencing internal bilge leaks.

can the seams be opened up with a high heat? I am quite handy with tools and would even invest in tools if I knew what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

no help here?
really could use some

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:38 am 
Site Admin

The factory does not due non-warranty repairs... best bet is to cut through the black bottom material to access the area to be patched... then patch the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The factory does not due non-warranty repairs... best bet is to cut through the black bottom material to access the area to be patched... then patch the bottom.

I just spoke with the factory. They offered to repair if I paid shipping. Mine is out of warranty
estimated $75 each way

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I tried toobseal and nogo :cry:

I had my wife pump while I listened closely to the high pressure hull. The hiss was inside the hull just behind the rear of the mirage drive mount. I pealed back the ring seal from the rear of the mirage drive mount and found a seam leak. No toobseal was gonna fix that. I called the factory and they recommended cleaning with acetone and glueing the seam with the patch kit glue. It's setting up for 12 hours now. I feel lucky that I found it without destroying to much!
here's a few pics
I'll report back when I re-inflate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good news
inflation and soapy water check looks like repair was successful!
I'm going to let it sit for a few days and recheck before closing the top mirage drive mount seal back up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

everything looks good
time for sea trial!