Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Down Rigger Success?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm still new to the Hobie family and just recently tried my Is-12 inflatable. I have set up my fish finder and more importantly I have figured out a way to install an easily removable downrigger (Scotty Lake Troller) to my IS-12. I had it out a couple of days ago on a lake (Gull Lake in eastern Sierras) and it worked fantastic. I had the Scotty Lake Troller with a 3 pound ball. It was so stable I will be going to a 4 pound ball. Anyway, I permanently mounted a Scotty Mount onto a glued up rectangular PVC plastic frame which I then covered with foam insulation. It is mounted on my right side (My depth finder/transducer is on left). The lake troller fits into the mount and I kept the ball on deck until I started a troll. My biggest problem (at this point I think it's solved) was to figure out how to hold the Lake Troller in place and firmly mounted. I ended up using 4 round patches with D rings glued to the floor for securing the plastic rectangle mount. The patches are about 3 inches across. How did I secure the mount to the rings? Gear Ties-these things are amazing! These are rubber covered wire coming lengths of 6 inches, 12 , 18 and 24. I secure my milk crate with two gear 18 inch gear ties. Just twist a few times and secure. I digress. The plastic mount is secured with 6 inch gear ties which you can tighten down. Twist and twist till they are super tight. These things don't come loose!

It supported the downrigger and ball no problem. My longterm concern is the glued on patches, right now they are great and no problems coming up.

I will take a few photos but I am really pleased with how this worked the first time out. I wanted a bit over a 100 feet that the lake troller provides so I secured braid to a shortened cable to give me about 125 feet depth.

BTW: these gear tie things I used to secure the inflated 12 footer to my car rack back and forth from the lake short drive ( no way I would do this on a freeway), I also have them just twisted /secured to strategic spots on the kayak. I secured my tackle box on top of the right tube with a gear tie attached to the secured crate. The simplicity and multiple uses of these things are amazing. The only place I have found them are in Home Depot or on line.

Thanks

Beachpotato