Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

has any one attempted to attached a sidekick ama kit to a inflatable?

i know its not necessary at all on the inflatables, but my friend is persistant about having them

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has your friend tried it? Successful? How? I am planning of mounting something on the i14T for an expedition on open water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wanted to revive this topic again, has anyone attempted to put the sidekick AMA on an inflatable? Does anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat has no suggestions for this. i-Series boats are much more stable that a hard plastic hull, so not deemed necessary.

There may be challenges due to width let alone hull attachment hardware.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thinking out loud here...

I have no experience with this product or application, but Scotty makes a similar product to the Hobie sidekicks: http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/kayak-fishing-equipment-accessories/stabilizers/kayak-stabilizers.html.

You could use (2) Hobie iAccessory mounts or Scotty 341 glue on mounts to mount the Scotty 241 brackets. Not sure how well this will work on an inflatable given the amount of flex in the side tubes. Looks like you could also add a cross bar if you wanted to stiffen things up.

May be able to modify the Hobie Sidekicks to adapt to the Scotty brackets. As Matt mentioned, the inflatables have a wider beam than the rotomold boats, so not sure if the cross bar is long enough without modification. Again, I have no experience with this, so caveat emptor!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can stand and fish in my i12s, but i wouldn't try it in the fall since I usually only fall in once per trip. I still have to buy a fish finder and a few more rods before I get the sidekicks, but I may give them a try in a few months.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gas Yakker wrote:
Thinking out loud here...

I have no experience with this product or application, but Scotty makes a similar product to the Hobie sidekicks: http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/kayak-fishing-equipment-accessories/stabilizers/kayak-stabilizers.html.

You could use (2) Hobie iAccessory mounts or Scotty 341 glue on mounts to mount the Scotty 241 brackets. Not sure how well this will work on an inflatable given the amount of flex in the side tubes. Looks like you could also add a cross bar if you wanted to stiffen things up.

This would be the route I'd take. I've been thinking about an i14t for solo camping trips- use the front seat area for gear. On the occasions when the wife joins me for multi day camping, or if I bring all of the motion timelapse gear, I was thinking of doing just this and making a 4 slat haka bench for strapping the extra gear onto. Max additional weight of the gear would be around 75lbs or so. If I went diy with lobster trap floats, I could add extra buoyancy by adding a couple more floats. The outriggers only have to handle the weight riding on the haka's (as well as their weight, of course). Haka's could double as a camping table with removable legs.

The Hobie islands sub forum has a ton of amazing info on the haka's and tramps. Well worth a look.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This thread has some great info too-

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1548

Cheers