Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: self rescue variations?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't remember if there is a deep water self rescue / reboarding video for Hobie inflatables, but have seen some with other brands. It seems the trick is to lunge up and across the cockpit far enough to apply a bit of weight to the opposite sidewall so the boat doesn't simply roll over. Maybe tricky if you have a bulky pfd, or shoes that impede a kick stroke..

I just saw a wild variation on this on TV on a slightly different inflatable design, but want to post it as a possibility before I forget it. It just boggles my mind how slick it appears to work, although you wouldn't want to try it over the mirage drive itself.

They start by facing away from the side of kayak (!) with hands hooked around something solid like the stowed paddle, or a line along the kayak (I keep a bow line strung along the side opposite the paddle thru existing metal rings). So the back of your head and hands are up against the kayak side (!).

Next you do a backwards somersault (!) where your head goes underwater and your legs go up in the air. It's a rotation that doesn't require yanking your hands down much (a pfd probably helps here rather than hinders) and your now downward facing knees drive across the fat kayak sidewall to the cockpit where you can drop in, or kick your ankles to the opposite side to balance slight roll effect that your hands eventually impart. The trick seems to be the knees and forward thighs float just above the sidewall surface at all times (ankles trailing back) rather than high flailing that might roll the yak.