Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do any of you have experience in using a Mirage 14' among the Apostle Islands, or in Lake Superior?

My wife and I are planning a 25th anniversary doing that. However, the Park Rangers, and local kayak renters do not recommend it. Their concern is hypothermia. I can understand a kayak renter having a motivation to discourage if, but not a Park Ranger.

I'm high risk tolerant, my wife is not. I want to use this investment we have, plus, I like being up higher, not trapped in the kayak, and especially I enjoy pedaling as opposed to paddling. The Mirage does not tip easy, but apparently if it does, we could risk hypothermia, even with wet suits on? Also, aren't there skirts or protection we can purchase from Hobie to help with wave splash?I guess their concern is not just the splash, but if we DO go in. Someone bring me back to reality, or tell me you've done these islands in one, and just use caution.

I did see at least one or two on the forum that did the islands in one, and claims the advantage of the pedals and sail great them a great advantage over the sea kayakers. WHat about storage. It will have to be on top in front and or back, in dry bag, for our overnight gear. That been a problem for anyone?

Please educate me all!

DMF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Proper preparation always goes a long way towards negating the amount of risk involved in any trip. You can't completely eliminate any danger, but you can greatly reduce it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been Hobie kayaking for years in the ice-cold waters of the Salish Sea. I have a gore-tex Kokatat dry suit, which I wear in cold weather, which is most of the time. Under that I can wear my poly-fleece "bunny suit" or a suit of thin polypropeline long john tops and bottoms if it's warmer. On really warm days I wear a short john wet suit with a Tyvex house-painter's suit as outermost layer, mostly for sun protection. I also wear an inflatable PFD, usually the Mustang CO2 pull-to-inflate. You DO NOT want one of the Mustang PFDs that automatically inflate. My other PFD is an inflatable also, which can be inflated either by pulling the CO2 lanyard or by mouth.

The dry suit is uncomfortable as hell, but I'm 73 years old and wouldn't survive much immersion, and I can never be 100% certain I could turn the kayak rightside up and get back in it. Another worry is the my PFD might prevent me from being able to climb back aboard.

On the good side, the Hobie SUV kayak and the TI I've used are very stable and have NEVER turned turtle on me even in rough water and high winds. I'm about to start using my brand new i12s with a sail, and we shall see how that goes. The i12s is so much lighter then the other boats, I'm anticipating an increase in safety.

I've never heard anything good about the Apostle Islands except for the scenery. You owe it to those who love you to take every precaution.