Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering the i12 for fishing in small lakes and canals and wanted some feedback in terms of how much space is available. I know in terms of handling and movement the kayak is good from other users but is it too cramped to have your gear?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Depends on how much gear you like to carry. I downsized to an i9 and didn't give up much, but depending on what you like you might give up more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2 rods and a bag of 6 Plano boxes. Is that too much?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just remember the more you have with you the wetter the ride. Also if you turn over the more that will get wet with you. I always sit on a boat cushion to raise me up just a little highter than on the yak seat only. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In my i12S I routinely take three 7' rods and a 3600 size tackle box with 2 or 3 trays and a bunch of other stuff in it. I sit the box in a PVC frame I made with 4 rodholders attached. I also have a sideboard with a small sonar, battery pack, transducer arm, and a Scotty rod holder. I throw a drybag in the front hatch with lifesafety stuff in it. I also tend to stow my cart on the back of the boat since most launches aren't right by where I park. Add a cooler for lunch & drinks - maybe 30 to 35lbs or gear?

Basically you can fit about what an Outback will hold ABOVE DECK.

I solved the wet ride by attaching a Skwoosh High Back seat on top of the Hobie pad. I also hate the fit of the Hobie seat.

For the load-out you describe I'd consider the i9S unless you REALLY want the extra space. The front hatch in the i12S is nice but I rarely access it on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahh, good information. I didn't think about those things. Do you turn over on these kayaks much?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've never turtled the i12S, but I also don't take too many risks. I don't surf launch or go in the ocean. I avoid wind & high chop when possible. I keep away from boat wakes as much as possible. I stay low & centered in the boat as much as possible.

The inflatables are very stable & hard to flip, probably more than any of the rotomold boats.

A rogue wave, unexpected wake, or getting off balance at the wrong time can flip you, like any other kayak. The less crap you have onboard & the better it's secured, the easier it will be to right the boat & not lose your stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rchiuz wrote:
I am considering the i12 for fishing in small lakes and canals and wanted some feedback in terms of how much space is available. I know in terms of handling and movement the kayak is good from other users but is it too cramped to have your gear?

look at all the craps i load onto my i9s.... muahahaha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So, you sit in the yellow boat & tow the dune one with all your stuff behind you :D ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LOL.... just need to organized the stuffs properly and you will have enough space :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rchiuz wrote:
Ahh, good information. I didn't think about those things. Do you turn over on these kayaks much?

NO in calm or smooth water. Surf is another matter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What would you guys recommend for making your own rod holders since the inflatables don't really have any already built ones?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're talking about vertical tube type rod holders, the simplest solution is to buy one of the "crate packs" with the rod holders built in or easily attached. There's a few manufacturers out there. You can of course also attach them to the crate of your choice.

I built PVC frames for my Plano tackle bags (one 3600 size & one 3700 size) with rod holders attached to the corners of the frame. These are held down with the stern bungees.

For Scotty type holders, you can glue on the Hobie accessory mounts or the Scotty equivalents. Instead, I made removable side boards that attach to the sail tri ring & an additional tri ring I added. The board is 12" long & holds a rod holder, fish finder & battery pack, and the transducer arm.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For rod holders check out the Engel cooler dry box with built in rod holders retail about $75.