Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How durable is the i12?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am really thinking of pulling the trigger for buying the i12 but wanted to know from members how long did you have yours for?
I know the hard kayak pretty much last indefinitely so I am wondering if the inflatable is worth the investment.

Any feedback is welcome :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the i9 and love it. About the durablity? I took a 9 hour float trip down the river with rocks, log jams as high as 15 feet above the water line and drug the yak over all of it. A lot more dragging with paddling. So 9 hours latter and no leaks. It was scuffed up a lot, but mostly just looks and not function.

I would say the yak is very well made and holds up to a lot of abuse.

I have never taken it to the saltwater flats where there is oyster beds because they are very sharp. But that is ony place I would not want to take it.

Good luck with you decision.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i12s owner for 3+ years.

The inflatables are plenty durable. Are they ultimately as durable as a rotomold boat? Mostly not, but they do absorb impact better if you hit something. You can't crack an inflatable. You can abrade & puncture the fabric, but even that is pretty hard to do. You can also wear through & puncture rotomold boats too.

Yeah, if you plan to scrape over sharp things every time you go out an inflatable isn't the best choice.

You're asking a lot of prudent questions in you're posts. I'm not sure I understand what you're really asking here though. If you have the logistical means (vehicle to transport, place/room to store, physical ability to easily move) to own a rotomold boat, then I'd get a rotomold boat over an inflatable every time. Some here may disagree. The rotomold boats perform better, are easier to rig, have more storage & can be more comfortable than the inflatables, especially for fishing, IMO.

If you can get an inflatable OR a rotomold, get a rotomold. If the choice is inflatable or nothing because of durability concerns, go ahead and get an inflatable.

I got the i12s because I couldn't easily transport & store an Outback, but I'd still much prefer to have an Outback. Not trying to discourage you. Just doing a reality check.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info! It's more about space and transportation. Don't have much space to store a full yak and I drive a sedan with no roof rig ^^\