Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Tube Air Leak Repair
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My i12s from 2007 began leaking air from the end of the bow tube termination, the tube that is inflated together with the floor. It looks like the pvc material to the black plug glue seal simply failed. It also looks like the original sealing technique can be upgraded. The tube material ends at the black plug and has pvc material partially wrapped around it as a secondary air sealing material. This is where the air is now leaking. Since the material glued overtop of the tube to plastic plug juncture does not completely go around the junction of the tube to plug, I plan to make a new overlay that wraps completely around the tube to plug joint and am considering fastening the overlay with a tie wrap, holding it in place as the glue sets and making a secondary seal as well. The only reason I can think of not making the joint stronger is if Hobie intended this to be the point where an overinflated floor would fail before something more difficult to repair would let loose.

Another question is what glue should I use. I would hate to use my 8 year old glue that came with the boat if it is no longer up to the job. I would also like to get some repair material to wrap around the tube to plug joint. All I have is the yellow and the black patch material that came in the kit. I am sure that someday I will want it for the hull or bottom. Where would I source these items?