Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i9 Folding
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The product manual and the diagram in the storage bag differ from the support video on folding the i9. The former shows the last fold leaving bow and rudder on the outside, while the video shows the bow and rudder folded first into the middle of the bundle.

I can see an advantages/disadvantages to each method. Leaving the rudder on the outside creates a less severe fold on the control lines but leaves the rudder exposed to external damage. Folding the rudder in would protects it from external damage but cinching the bag could stress the rudder assembly or abrade the kayak material. Does it make a difference or is one way preferred?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: i9 Folding
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

The manual is more recent, so would tend to lean that way. The folding videos were done years ago. I will point that out to marketing / engineering.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info

I had also emailed Hobie Customer Support and rec'd this response: "They both work, so try it each way and decide which you feel is best – we’ve done them both ways with success. The i9s is the easiest to deal with (compared to the 12 & 14’s)"

Also, in my initial message I said bow and rudder when I meant to say stern and rudder. The manual and the bag cartoon show the stern/rudder left on the outside with the bow folded to the inside. The video shows both the stern/rudder and the bow folded to the inside. Sorry for adding to the confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased an old tan i9 that was kept in a basement partially inflated. It looks like new, but dd not come with a drive or bag. I have extra drives from my other Hobie kayaks. Now for a bag....based on the dimensions, a i11/12 bag 36x25x12 with the i9 in sideways seems a little more relaxed than the i9 bag. Comments?