Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought an early i12S, which has seen infrequent use, maybe 20 times in total. I'm recently retired and now have more time to use one. I also bought turbo fins, sail kit and rudder, and the cart. Like many inflatables, it leaks air from the center tube at the rigid end. Repairs have been unsuccessful. Worse, a friend bought one too, and finally used it for the first time last summer, he left it in the sun after using it on day one, and seams split. We'd like to get some use of the $2000+ each of us spent on these inflatables. Is there another Hobie, a rigid one, that I can use the drive, fins, sail, cart, etc with, either new or used kayak? I liked the kayak, but am really disappointed in the limited service life we have both experienced. NO more inflatables for us. If these can't be reused in a rigid kayak, is there a market for parts and accessories?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same i12s experience, then bought a new iT11. I wanted to reuse the i12s drive, but the dealer wasn't thrilled about deleting a drive on a new one. He advised me how to market it, and it sold well. I think the old bag is useful for any number of things, and I am about to use it with my iT11 for more space and smaller packdown on deck. The unique old pump is kind of cool for compatible low pressure craft.

The thick-shaft paddle is oddball. May be a market for it for older yaks, but I think my new paddle holder is made for thinner shaft. My old paddle had such floppy blades that seems only good for backup. Old sailkit is oddball due to having 3 stays; I forget if it has rigidity enough to freestand, but I may improvise it onto my iT11. Old rudders and well plug probably have some use, but undetermined.

I wish to heavens I cut out the mast step (plastic receptacle) before donating my expired hull - would you or your friend like to sell that to me? I would pay well for it. PM me maybe?

I expect longer life for my remaining 8 or so inflatables. Some are over 5 years old, but only one other than the Hobie popped a seam. The repair was easy because all these have exposed seams now, and I have umpteen repair kits with super effective glue. I realize my glues have expired, but they aren't the wimpy contact cement that CA law now requires but a no nonsense welding agent (maybe available online?).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

P.S. I think a drive in good shape retains value because of the expense or limited availability of replacements. The inflatable model has a minor difference that doesn't really matter; I guess it omits a guide pin that can be added or ignored for rigid models. I do appreciate the kickup feature of new drives, but am not interested in the 180. The rudder may be of value glued into a well plug for the empty seat of solo sailors. A guy with tandem AI reported doing something like this, I guess to reduce leeway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to cut my i12S up yet, I can use it for short trips, longer if I take the pump with me. If I could find someone who can "heat weld" a sealing patch inside the bow tube all the way around, that would make my problem manageable. Haven't talked with my buddy yet, don't know his thoughts. I bought inflatable boat glue from both Defender and Annapolis inflatables, had moderate luck with both for a short time. How did you market the parts for your kayak? I am still curious if one of the hard plastic Hobie's uses the same drive and other parts shared with the i12S. Hobie kayak dealers don't seem to have much longevity in DE, PA, or MD that I have found, but there is one in Lewes I bought some new foot straps from, that I may stop in and see if he is aware of any common parts usage. I did like this kayak, but it ultimately cost about $100 per use, makes my powerboats and their fuel use a bargain in comparison. Much better than my buddies $2000 single weekend use with his i12S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Mirage drive will fit into the rigid kayaks however you may have to adjust the bolts on the sides. The Turbo fins will probably only work with the specific model of Mirage drive, which just means you can't swap them to a newer drive but will still work on the original drive in a rigid kayak. The sailing rudder can be put on some of the rigid kayaks (sport, revolution, outback maybe). The sail kit can be used on the rigid kayaks, you just have to remove the three stays since they are not needed on the rigid hulls. In fact, the sailing kit for the old i12s is better for a rigid hull kayak. It collapses into four segments and allows for storage in the forward hatch. The cart probably won't work. It didn't with mine. Like you, I bought an early model i12s. I absolutely loved that boat, but only got about 5 years of use until it developed a leak in the middle chamber next to the drive well. I replaced it with Revolution 11. I use the sail kit and sailing rudder from the i12s on it. I generally use the 180 Mirage Drive that came with the Revo 11, but the old V2 drive with turbo fins works just fine on the Revo. The only accessories I had to buy were a scupper cart (not the Hobie one. Got one with sand wheels and adjustable for different kayaks) and the Sidekick Ama kit. The i12s was 36" wide and felt like it would never tip. The Revo 11 is much narrower and much more likely to capsize without the Sidekicks. I hope this helps.