Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where and When can the i12s kayaks be demo'ed in the Pacific Northwest? Portland/Seattle area, dealers boat shows etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
I'm picking on you because you have used both, though maybe
not in the ocean on the s12i .
I am considering both. They have different strengths Revo speed vs 12i stability (and fits my Prius).
In a beach launch which do you think would do better ? I can see the Revo cutting through the waves better going out... but I can also see the 12i returning better maybe like the surf mats we all used to use way back when. (40 yrs for me).

I'm new here, I currently use a tandem Sevlor, but need the mirage drive to cruise around Palos Verdes here in So. Cal. (by myself).
Anyone can chime in of course.

Thanks Kids,

Hummingbird 220 FF.

REVO in LA Harbor

Harbor City,
Doesn't have a harbor...
Nor is it a City...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

That's a good question. I haven't taken either through surf so, like you, I could only imagine. I agree with your thinking though -- the Revo would be much easier to take out in SoCal surf, but i12s would ride the waves in just like the old rubber rafts and just about impossible to broach. They both ride boat wakes pretty well, but the i12s is obviously more stable.

Beyond that, it gets back to priorities. The Revo is faster (more so against wind and chop) and easier to customize for fishing. The i12s is much roomier and would be fantastic for any kind of diving -- easy to re-mount and tons of room for tanks or whatever. They're both fun to sail -- again the Revo is faster but the i12s is super stable. For exercise, I like them both. I think the seating position is more comfortable in the Revo for longer trips and it feels a little more like a sports car by comparison. The i12s would carry a passenger easily. Ease of transport, storage and travel have got to be the most compelling features of the i12s, the importance of which may be pivotal to your decision.

I'm a big fan of the Turbofins and optional sailing rudder for either boat for better speed and control. I'd recommend a test ride so you can get a feel for both! 8)

Vagabond, also welcome to the forum. Many of the dealers have a demo fleet. If you haven't already done so, check out the Hobie website or phone directory for a dealer (hopefully) close by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
Thanks for the fast reply. I have contacted two local dealers. and may ride in a Revo soon. and when the 12i is available, hopefully I can test that also. I really like the idea of taking a passenger on short, slower trips in local harbors like the back bay in Newport. Oooo, but I might take up fishing again ...(Revo)
Your 3 part review is invaluable.. thanks again.

Encinitas.. I used to surf Moonlight beach, Swami's, & Cardiff by ther Sea
way back when...

Hummingbird 220 FF.

REVO in LA Harbor

Harbor City,
Doesn't have a harbor...
Nor is it a City...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RR,
Did you ever get a chance to take out the i14T?
Terry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes indeed! Here are a couple of links: 8)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7826&p=37580&hilit=i14t#p37580

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7844&hilit=i14t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RR,
Great review of the tandem -- thanks. The local dealer I spoke with said I might have a problem with room in the i14T rear seat. I'm 6'2" and the dealer felt I might be too tall since I'd ride the back seat as the heavier person. Of course, he would have be very happy to sell me the two i12S' he had in stock for the last year. I'm having difficulty finding any in the SE US to test fit. From the pictures I'd guess you're about 6' tall -- how was the fit for you?
Terry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I had no issues at all, but am only 5'10". The Mirage Drive has 12 inches adjustment and the inflatables also have an adjustable seat. There is plenty of buoyancy and I think plenty of room. Unlike some of the other Hobies, I'm not aware of any height related problems or limitations on any of the inflatables. Even the little i9 has more than ample leg space.

There are other considerations -- 2 inflatables are twice as many to inflate, fold, stow, etc. Additionally, my wife for example, enjoys going out tandem, but not solo. For tandem people, there is sometimes no other good option.

I don't think you'll have any difficulties. Perhaps some taller i14t users would like to comment here? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

would love to see parts one and two of this review. where are they? thx, windlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Go to the first post on page #1 and click on either of the blue links near the top. One goes directly to part 1 and the other goes to part 2. 8)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kepnutz wrote:
Hey Roadie.
Thanks for the 411 lo-down-ho-down on this new floatie yak.
Looks like the i12 could also be tied up to the back of an Adventure or Revo or whatever and then loaded with camping gear and provisions for an extended voyage or expedition.
Then again it looks like a blast just all by itself as well with some new cool features and being inflatable it could open up some whitewater river possibilities that may be tenative to attempt in our other Hobie Yaks.
So how much is that floatie going to cost fully loaded ?
Do you know if the standard mirage drive and standard sail kits from our rotomolded yaks will interchange with the i12's etc
Thanks again for the infomercial.. :wink:
.............Kepnutz

Hi Kepnutz. I don't believe the drives are interchangeable with the hardshell kayaks. Neither are the sail kits. On the inflatables, the drivewell is shaped differently. Also on the inflatables, the Mast is "stayed". That is, it has a forestay and two sidestays. On the hardshell kayaks, the mast is stayless. I think this is because, given the flexible nature of the inflatable hull, the mast has to have the support from the stays. They connect directly to the sail about 2/3rd or 4/3th up the length of the mast. The stays stretch quite a bit. I've heard reported that they are Nylon and this is on purpose. So in a stiff breeze the Mast leans away from the wind quite a bit; something you have to get used to.

John

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
Hi John and welcome to the forum.

That's a good question. I haven't taken either through surf so, like you, I could only imagine. I agree with your thinking though -- the Revo would be much easier to take out in SoCal surf, but i12s would ride the waves in just like the old rubber rafts and just about impossible to broach. They both ride boat wakes pretty well, but the i12s is obviously more stable.

Beyond that, it gets back to priorities. The Revo is faster (more so against wind and chop) and easier to customize for fishing. The i12s is much roomier and would be fantastic for any kind of diving -- easy to re-mount and tons of room for tanks or whatever. They're both fun to sail -- again the Revo is faster but the i12s is super stable. For exercise, I like them both. I think the seating position is more comfortable in the Revo for longer trips and it feels a little more like a sports car by comparison. The i12s would carry a passenger easily. Ease of transport, storage and travel have got to be the most compelling features of the i12s, the importance of which may be pivotal to your decision.

I'm a big fan of the Turbofins and optional sailing rudder for either boat for better speed and control. I'd recommend a test ride so you can get a feel for both! 8)

Vagabond, also welcome to the forum. Many of the dealers have a demo fleet. If you haven't already done so, check out the Hobie website or phone directory for a dealer (hopefully) close by.

Hi RoadRunner: How I wish someone would review the i14t this thoroughly. If I could get my wish, I'd live the driver of a Hob ie Mirage Tandem Island to review the i14t and compare and contrast the two. I currently own the i14t and am very happy with it. But there are times, for example, if I want to go camping by a lake with a popup camper, it sure would be nice to have the i14t for me and my significant other to tool around in.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:08 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi John,

Thanks. These old links probably don't have anything you don't already know, but here they are anyway. 8)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7826&p=37580&hilit
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7844&p=37684&hilit