Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depth Finder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone attached a depth/fish finder to an inflatable? If so, how did you do it? I'm especially interested in how you attached the transducer.

Harold

Post subject: Re: Depth Finder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same question.

Actually, rod holder but these mounts might work for you.
A bit of web surfing and I found these:

http://wckfishing.com/2013/04/09/outfit ... le-kayaks/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8C-pFSS_kc

As soon as I get my i9 this is my goal too : )
FishOn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

largewhitedog wrote:
I had the same question.

Actually, rod holder but these mounts might work for you.
A bit of web surfing and I found these:

http://wckfishing.com/2013/04/09/outfit ... le-kayaks/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8C-pFSS_kc

As soon as I get my i9 this is my goal too : )
FishOn!

Paying the few extra bones for i12 is well worth the cost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

X2 on the i12s instead of the i9s IF weight/bulk are not primary concerns. Bigger tankwell in the i12s & more at home in bigger water, IMO. There are some times I wish my i12s was about 15lbs lighter though!

Respectfully, there's a lot of info on transducer/fish finder/accessory mounting on this forum if you search around.

Basically...

For fish finders & rod holders you either use the Hobie accessory mounts or make-up your own removable side boards using HDPE cutting boards, wood, etc. Scotty now makes their own glue-on mounts for inflatables, but I have no experience with them. Be careful not to locate the mounts at fold lines or where they will press against other hard items when folded. I've had some success using 3M VHB tape instead of glue. Allows you to remove the mount if you decide it's not where you really wanted it!

For transducers, either mount on the bottom of the rudder or buy/make a transducer arm that hangs over the side. RAM makes one, but you can easily make one from PVC, aluminum, etc. I started with a PVC arm, moved to the rudder, and ended back with a RAM arm. The rudder mount was convenient since it folded with the boat, but it put stress on the rudder cables & was a PAIN to clear if you hang up on weeds or buoy lines!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gas Yakker wrote:
X2 on the i12s instead of the i9s IF weight/bulk are not primary concerns. Bigger tankwell in the i12s & more at home in bigger water, IMO. There are some times I wish my i12s was about 15lbs lighter though!

Respectfully, there's a lot of info on transducer/fish finder/accessory mounting on this forum if you search around.

Basically...

For fish finders & rod holders you either use the Hobie accessory mounts or make-up your own removable side boards using HDPE cutting boards, wood, etc. Scotty now makes their own glue-on mounts for inflatables, but I have no experience with them. Be careful not to locate the mounts at fold lines or where they will press against other hard items when folded. I've had some success using 3M VHB tape instead of glue. Allows you to remove the mount if you decide it's not where you really wanted it!

For transducers, either mount on the bottom of the rudder or buy/make a transducer arm that hangs over the side. RAM makes one, but you can easily make one from PVC, aluminum, etc. I started with a PVC arm, moved to the rudder, and ended back with a RAM arm. The rudder mount was convenient since it folded with the boat, but it put stress on the rudder cables & was a PAIN to clear if you hang up on weeds or buoy lines!

Good luck!

Can you tell us a little more about your experience with VHB tape? How firm is the hold after a few trips in the water?

Thanks,

Stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have not used VHB to attach Hobie accessory mounts. I used VHB to attach a second set of tri-rings forward of the existing rings used for the sail lines. I use these to attach my side boards. The boards have my fish finder, transducer arm, and rod holders.

I covered the entire bottom of the tri-ring PVC patch with VHB, trimmed it, and mounted it to the INFLATED boat. I then DEFLATED the boat and used a small piece of 3/4" PVC pipe to firmly roll the patches. VHB takes about 12 hours to thoroughly wet-out the surface & achieve about 90% strength. I'd give it 48 hours to fully cure.

Rings have stayed in place for over a year & I think you could lift the boat with them. They'll never be as strong as the cement, but plenty strong for my needs. I HATE the thought of gluing something on only to want to move or remove it later. The VHB comes right off with some work.

Note that this is the 4941 Family VHB with acrylic adhesive & foam core for medium surface energy plastics. They also make a version for low surface energy (LSE) plastics that may work even better in this application.

BTW: I'd only trust VHB. The double sided tape they sell at Home Depot, Walmart, etc., be it 3M or Loctite, is not VHB.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the report, I have been reluctant to add any accessories to my i12s just because I am so indecisive, I am definitely going to give the VHB tape a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, I hate the irreversibility of glue!

The keys to a good bond are to clean the surfaces with mild detergent & then alcohol, firmly roll the piece being glued, and wait 48 hours for everything to cure.

If nothing else, try the VHB to test locations until you find what works & then glue it down. If you're worried about the accessory pulling off you can lash it to the nearest tri-ring.

FYI: VHB is readily available on Ebay & online. I got mine from McMaster-Carr via their world's greatest website, and you can order stainless bolts at the same time!