Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought two used I12's last summer when we were in Sooke, British Columbia, Canada. We had been renting Hobie kayaks while we were there and were so impressed with them that we bought a couple. We put both of them on the roof of the Explorer to get them back to Calgary. We have used them in extremely high wind on McGregor Lake and also in Two-Jack Lake in Banff. We love them.
We did find that one of the rudder steering lines was starting to fray so had to replace it. This is not an easy thing to do. After trying to pull a new line through using a knot (sheetbend), and also trying to tape the two ropes together, I ended up using some thin fence wire. I bent the end of the wire over the existing line and pinched it as tight as possible with pliers. This was to grab the line but also reduce the overall diameter as much as possible. Starting at the turn control end, I fed the wire through the tube while my son was pulling the line at the other end by the rudder, pulling the wire through. Once it came out, I repeated the process of pinching the new line with the wire and pulled the new line back through the tube. The line I replaced was the one that went from the left (port) side and then at the back of the kayak, it curved over to the right (starboard) side of the of the rudder. It has the most serpentine path of all of the control lines.