Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, everyone! I will go to Portugal next year and want to know your suggestions for good places to kayak. I am informed that Portugal offers exceptional kayaking spots. My interest is mainly in two choices: paddling through The Douro Valley or exploring Arrabida Natural Park by kayak. The initial plan was to visit in October to coincide with the grape harvest season but would also like to go swimming at the beach.

The Douro Valley is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, and it appears very beautiful. I have come across information suggesting there are organized tours which lead you beside the river to see the grape farms, small towns, and places of historical importance. This seems like an excellent method to immerse oneself in the culture and landscapes of Portugal and also enjoying the local wine.

Arrabida Natural Park is also a place I like. It’s an area with some of the prettiest beaches and cliffs you can find in Portugal. I looked at pictures of that location, and they are very impressive. I learned there is a possibility to rent kayaks and go on tours for seeing the coastline and the marine life. I am curious about how many people there are on the beaches, and if one needs any special permissions or passes to use a kayak in that place. Moreover, if somebody knows about a close vineyard in Setúbal, I would like that place best because it offers me the chance to go kayaking and enjoy the beach along with visiting a vineyard all together.

On my last kayaking trip in Chile, I went by myself, and now I am interested to try the next one with a local guide from here https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71265. Can someone recommend a kayak tour in Portugal?

So, what do you think? Which one would you prefer and why? Could you give me any recommendations or ideas for kayaking in Portugal? I would be thankful for any opinions or guidance. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Both options you mentioned sound great. The Douro Valley would be very scenic and a nice way to experience the culture and vineyards. In October the weather may be iffy for swimming though. Arrabida park could offer the best of both worlds with kayaking and beaches. You shouldn't need special permission for kayaking there and it may not be as crowded in October.

Personally if doing both is not possible, I think I'd choose Arrabida to maximize your limited time in Portugal. You could always visit the Douro another trip when conditions are better for fully enjoying the landscape.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions, @doingitwithubs! Arrabida Natural Park does sound like it offers the most in terms of combining kayaking with swimming and relaxing on the beach. I also found information on a winery in Setúbal https://winefolly.com/wines/moscatel-de-setubal/.
The average temperature in October is around 19°C according to https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5600 which would be warm enough for an enjoyable swim. Incidentally, while checking the above article for average temperatures in Portugal, I found that they’re also offering guided tours, but I would have to ask them if they’re offering guided kayak tours. Thanks again for sharing your perspective!