Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am taking my tandem oasis for a month in Feburary to Tasmania ( on the Sprit of Tasmania not under my own steam ). Any comments on the best day trips arround Tasmania. I note that there are big tides on the north shore of the island any thing else to look out for besides Tasmanian devils.
Thanks
Geoff

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any results on your trip - may do Tasmania one day.
Brian (SA)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Brian
Nobody made any suggestions but here are the places I went to;
The Arthur River no apparent tide run, stunning beauty we only saw the 2 cruise boats pass all day we did find a couple of camp sites we met a guy who had taken 10 days to come all the way from hellyer Gorge in an inflatable kayak. Boat ramp launch point is over the bridge and to the left.
Macquarie harbour is ok very open found some intresting wrecks on the shoreline.
Lake Pedder just breath taking on the day we were there the mountains reflected in the still water. The biggest suprise was how warm it was perfect for swimming(mid Feb) and the day we were there we had the whole lake to ourselves. Launched at the boat ramp at Edgar Dam, make sure you go to the lookout at scotts peak watch out for tiger snakes
Cockle Creek about as far south as you can go Keep going along the track to the national parks camping ground You can camp just behind the beach I bet it can get a bit nippy down there I sailed out in the bay to the ocean probably the furthest point south the yak is ever likely to venture.
Coles Bay (Freycinet NP) Initially I wanted to launch on the east side and travel to wineglass bay. The ranger advised against it so launched at Coles Bay travelled south along the coast, then landed at Hazzards beach. There is usually a wallaby on duty to help you find the track to wine glass bay and eat your lunch.
Basicly you could spend months exploring the beautiful waterways but you need to be well prepared as we encountered very few boats and in a lot of places very few people (at nearly the peak season). I allways carry tools and enough spares to completly rebuild a drive and of course a spare tiller pin.
enjoy your trip

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Croc.
Certainly a magic place.
I crewed on a mate's HL28 from the wooden boat festival in Hobart to Melbourne. I still buy bits from Tamar Marine but agree you would need to carry spares.
We will keep your list in mind when we visit.
Cheers,
Brian