Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great camping on both sides of the lake. Launch at the boat ramp, or drive around the lake, across the dam, and launch from the rocks near the spillway.

Loon Lake is spectacular and much larger than you'd expect (actually joined with Pleasant Lake). The kayak guides recommend staying off the lake when mid-day winds fill in. We've spent some time, over two different trips, on this lake and would warn anyone without Mirage Drive to use caution. The winds are strong, and the lake gets rough; don't let your friends with conventional kayaks follow you into the east end.

We've found sailing to the far end (Pleasant Lake) works well, and then take off the rigs, tape the mast sections together, fold up the sails, and take your time pedaling back against the wind and waves.

This photo is taken in the far end (Pleasant Lake portion); you'll enjoy exploring the rock islands.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JimL
Loon Lake is a great location, for all described. I do not know how it has reamined off this fourm for so long. The entrance to the upper area is one of the best sails ever, you can tack back and forth from one end to the other over and over a distance of what might guess 1.5 mile. Not the main lake. Upper Loon. Sailing at high water thru the island areas at main lake near boat launch is also fun. High water occurs at early spring. Of course getting to Loon can test your abilty to stay calm for my 3hr. one way drive. Looks as if you were on vacation to mountian lakes this summer.. I must have seen you on occasion, or you me, my wife will often have several poddles in tow one way or the other. I have a red AI, and will carry a side mount or thru peddle hole trolling motor for the wind that goes the wrong direction at 6pm. Set the motor and small battery at day camp. When I get $1800 for the better fitted motor, less weight, that will be a new toy. Curently saving for a bike motor. The area pictured appears to be on upper Loon, near shore is where the wind will blow thru, allowing the back and forth sail. You caught a down turn. At spring/summer most days at 4pm the wind will arrive. Camping is easy there. Glad you took time to post this great location, I go at least 6-10 times each season. Not computer skills for posting pictures.