Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This 21 foot gator was recently spotted near Winter Haven FL , given that my TI is only 18 ft long, I'm gonna need a bigger boat (a line from the movie Jaws).
Here he is with a full grown Stag deer in his mouth.

Here he is next to a 6 ft cop.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No such thing as a 21 ft gator or an 18 ft gator .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have no idea if it was true or not, (don't really care either). Those pics were all over the local news at the time so I thought I would share it. I didn't see the thing myself.
Actually I've been to both Australia and the Nile many times and have seen many really large crocs up close and personal, all appear to be much larger than any gators I've seen personally here in florida. I'm pretty sure anything over ten ft or so can easily eat me, the actual length is pretty irrelivant, they all want to eat me.
FE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To be fair, the alligators in Florida are not super aggressive.

Respect them, stay away from them, but I wouldn't avoid entire portions of Florida just because a gator may be nearby (since they are pretty much everywhere down here).

In terms of fauna, I worry more about water moccasins than gators. I've had mocs follow my kayak short distances and "fall" out of cypress trees landing in the water nearby. Old timers tell me they are just territorial and are not trying bite me ... they still scare the bejeezus out of me and I'm not generally afraid of snakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I kayak often alongside gators in Florida. 12-14 footers are about as large as you will every see and gators this big are very rare and look like dinosaurs! 6-8 foot gators are much more common and still scary if you come up to one without knowing. They seem to be qite scared of people and have never seen one being aggressive towards a paddler. Keep tiny pets and kids away from shorelines in gator areas though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There has NEVER EVER been a 20 or 21 ft alligator seen, or captured. Most alligators avoid people at all costs . I live in Florida where I'm around 12 and 14 footers all the time. They almost always scare the heck out of me as they splash trying to get away. I've never been bothered by one in my kayak , and you usually don't find them swimming around except around shore.