Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm planning an epic kayaking adventure in Chile and I need your help! I'll be starting in Santiago and making my way down to Puerto Varas. Any recommendations for must-visit spots, local grub, or hidden gems along the way? And of course, I'm eager to hear about the best kayaking routes and experiences in the Lake District. TIA :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, kayaking from Santiago to Puerto Varas sounds like an amazing challenge! I admire your adventurous spirit and enthusiasm. I have some experience with kayaking in Chile, but not as extensive as your plan. I have only done a shorter route from Llanquihue to Calcurrupe River, passing through Todos los Santos and Ranco Lakes. It was a beautiful and relaxing journey, with stunning views, and wildlife. I enjoyed it a lot, but I’m sure there are many other places to explore and discover along the way to Santiago. How long do you plan to take for your trip? I wish you all the best and safe travels!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Llanquihue to Calcurrupe sounds amazing! Those lakes are on my must-paddle list for sure. You're right, the whole stretch down to Santiago must be bursting with hidden gems and breathtaking landscapes. How long was your trip?

And thanks for the well-wishes! Planning to take about two weeks for the full journey, depending on the weather and how my paddling arms hold up. Any advice on where to stop or must-see spots along the way?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was a five-day adventure that I will never forget. I kayaked from Llanquihue to Todos los Santos, admiring the majestic Osorno Volcano along the way. I also explored some of the cultural and natural attractions in the area, such as the Lutheran Church, Petrohue Falls, Leon River lighthouse and Vicente Perez Rosales National Park. I enjoyed the company of various birds, like the kingfisher, as I paddled from Ranco Lake to Calcarrupe River. I stopped at Llifén for a tasty lunch, then headed to Termas de Llifén spa, which is a gorgeous hot spring resort with waters ranging from 25° to 38 °C. It was the perfect way to relax my sore muscles after days of kayaking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing! The experience of kayaking through the breathtaking landscapes of Patagonia, with the majestic Osorno volcano in the distance, must have been truly awe-inspiring. And to top it off, relaxing in the Termas de Llifén after all that paddling must have been pure bliss. I can only imagine the incredible wildlife encounters you must have had during your journey. Spotting a kingfisher sounds like a truly magical moment! Did you go on this adventure alone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I embarked on this adventure solo, as I didn't want anyone else to feel obligated to match my relaxed pace of exploring. I took my time, enjoying every stroke of the paddle and view of the landscape. Along the way, I made friends with some likewise leisurely travelers. You may see me as old-fashioned, but I prefer being fully present in the experience rather than distracted by recording it to share online. What about you, are you doing this alone and will you be documenting the whole adventure on video @HappyHipster17?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your solo paddle adventure sounds amazing! I also want to take a solo trip, but I've had some not-so-great experiences in certain countries as a solo traveler. Since I'm new to the country and I don't know how to speak Spanish, I'm considering getting a guide, and one of the options I'm looking into is https://gowithguide.com/chile – my friend suggested it. Regarding filming, we are on the same page I'll likely capture some moments, but my focus is on experiencing it rather than being constantly tied to the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It’s a shame that you didn’t have the best time traveling alone. I can relate to your struggle with Spanish, as I only know a little bit myself. Looking back, I think I would have had more fun on that kayak trip if I had someone who knew the area well. I’m looking forward to reading your travel report when you finish it. Please post some photos and tell us lots of stories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey! Thanks a bunch for understanding. Spanish can be a real puzzle, right? And yeah, a local guide for the kayak trip would've been a game-changer. Lesson learned! Can't wait to share the adventure in the travel report. I'll make sure to load it up with pics and stories. Stay tuned!