Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but as I do not have a jib, I missed your last question. The black cap in the masthead should definitely NOT spin in the mast, as this screws up sail shape as you mentioned. The top of the sail should bear a fixed relationship with the bottom which is attached to the furling drum by the downhaul.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I actually gave Hobie a call and asked what type of epoxy to use and they didn't think that it was glued at all. Said there was some type of O-ring. I told them mine didn't have an O-Ring and he stated that perhaps they switched from gluing to the O-ring, or switched from the O-ring to gluing. What year rig do you have Tony? Mine is an '11.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dm06:
I believe the little cap on top if my mast has also spun out of alignment, last time I was out I noticed it. I had that cap off on my old 2011 TI, it was just a press fit into the top of the mast. I haven't looked at my 2012 yet so I don't know how it's held on. Since the masts are carbon I don't recomend pitting a screw in (this creates a stress point in the carbon, though it a pretty low stress area I think locktite marine epoxy is what I will be using to repair mine, follows by a loop of tape around the diameter. Don't use 5 minute epoxy, it doesn't hold up at all in water (even says so on the package).

I read about your rear stay line, I don't think you need that heavy a line. I just use 3/16 stretchy nylon rope for my rear stay line. At the base of your mast holder the only thing preventing your mast from breaking is a tiny 1/4 inch stud ( I'm talking forward and back motion of the mast). When you add extra sails you need to relieve some of that extra forward stress so as not to break that little stud ( I have snapped several without a stay line). The rear stay does nothing else, it only does anything at all on a downwind, mine is limp and loose on all other points of sail. Of course I was flying a jib plus my huge spinnaker (265 sq ft of sail), that's a lot of sail area, how important it is with just a jib I'm not sure.
I have only snapped one rear stay line in 4 1/2 yrs, and was just being stupid trying to run downwind in gusty conditions, the winds were about 23mph plus gusting to 35, I was doing over 20 mph when a wierd gust hit and fluttered the spin, when it popped back out it dove the boat and snapped the rear stay line. The mast topper popped out and landed I front of the boat, I then ran over the spinnaker (pretty embarrassing). I don't put the spin out anymore in winds that high, just too dangerous. Actually since getting my wing jib I hardly ever take the spinnaker along anymore, though I have to admit flying a giant spinnaker is an adrenalin rush like no other. If I know the winds are going to be good I definitely take it along, just for the fun of it.
I'm not using a collapsible jib (that you would store in a sail bag, though I used to all the time), all my sails are on masts with roto furlers, I prefer it that way so I can furl any sail in and out as conditions change without needing to leave the cockpit. Hey if you can get the jib to work by any means that's a plus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DM06 wrote:
Thanks! I actually gave Hobie a call and asked what type of epoxy to use and they didn't think that it was glued at all. Said there was some type of O-ring. I told them mine didn't have an O-Ring and he stated that perhaps they switched from gluing to the O-ring, or switched from the O-ring to gluing. What year rig do you have Tony? Mine is an '11.

Mine is an MY12. I have never removed the fitting, as I added a short piece of PVC pipe connector as part of my wind indicator installation (as well as adding a small pulley for a halyard to allow me to send up a masthead 360 degree white light). So I don't know if there is an O ring or not. Mine is fixed with 2 screws, but I do remember it didn't move before..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks folks. This project is turning out to be like watching the X Files. Every episode just adds more questions!

Fusion, regarding the foresail: it seems to me regardless of how you add a foresail it's going to act as a forstay, restricting rearward bend in the mast. It's attached to the mast topper and the bow, whether it's a furling sail or a hanked sail. How did you decide how loose/tight to make it?

I gave up looking for new hanks and decided to make my own. I "borrowed" a length of my sons hotwheels track. It's made of very flexible plastic. I cut 1"x 2" strips out of the track, drilled holes on either end, and fastened them through the existing holes in the jib using stainless machine screws and washers. I'm going to throw on some fender washers to keep the hanks from tearing at the holes.

I could probably go back to the PVC furling idea NOHUHU pictured now.

Regarding both stays: I have stainless clips on both ends of each line that is rated at 90 lbs working load, according to the packaging. Is that enough? Or should I get something with a higher working load?

Spinnaker: how do you have that attached and how do you have it rigged? Seems like there is a lot of talk and information in your thread about jibs but not so much about spinnakers. Wouldn't you need 3 or 4 lines for a spinnaker?