Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My poor man's Barber Hauler works great and can be installed and deployed in under a minute. I like to keep it simple and inexpensive. I've been meaning to post pictures for awhile now and apologize it took me so long.

The Barber Hauler is basically one 16'-17' piece of 3/8" line with two stainless clips on both ends. On the outer end of the rear akas are mounted a zinc plated clamp on oarlock from boaters world. The ID is 1 1/2 - 1 3/4. Brand name Sea Bowld part# is 36-679-0145. They were pretty inexpensive. After clamping those on the Akas I attached a shackle I had laying around using a cloth coupler that I also had But you can use your own method to attach the shackle or whatever to the oarlock. That's pretty easy.

Another important feature of my barber hauler is I have two (one on each side) cam cleats installed on the AI.

So basically when the wind starts slowing down and I'm downwind, I grab the line with the clips and stretch out and thread them through the shackles on each side. This takes only a minute. And then clip it to the sail, give it a tug and cleat it. Simple, easy and inexpensive. And a pretty nice option to have while sailing. I'll post another thread later about the Aka Tarp I made.

For more pictures see http://www.asthmastory.com/ai.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just tried out my new bungee haulers:

Works great and gives a boost downwind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I started out using a bungee material but being able to adjust the tension and having a nice tight line makes a difference depending on the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking about running mine to the ama carrying handles so I can pull on the sail from further out.

I wonder whether using a sail to pull on an ama is bad for the ama strut or the ball, or maybe the plastic shear bolts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see you got a #6 on your sail I take it you been doing some racing. I like the idea of having a place to quickly place the drive. I wonder if putting it on the windward would help balance the Island as well.

I was in my first regatta yesterday there was only 1 other Island so I just went with I'm the red one. The Island sailed faster without the drive on the downwind but seemed to sail upwind faster and tighter using the fins to supplement the dagger board.

We were sailing with the Hobie cats in 7 to 10 mph winds they were decidedly faster and with the drive out I was somewhat of a course obstruction as rounding the upwind marker was iffy at best.

As to over stressing the amas support I have all done all kinds configurations of stuff bunged to a variety points and have yet to have a problem unless you count busting my front crossbar but it was a bad weld that was obvious once it broke.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I raced only once gwiz and realized that it wasn't my cup of tea. I'd rather just be out cruising and enjoying the day and the wind. I just left that #6 on as it would be a little work getting it off and I'm inherently lazy :lol:

Tom, I don't feel there is any undo stress on the akas with this design. There's not that much pressure when I use it and I don't use it in heavy wind.

But I sure love sailing my Adventure Island. Best thing I've ever owned.

Post subject: Nice Tramp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Jim - nice looking tramp - do you leave the tramp on the AI when storing, i have a trailer with cradles so could i leave a tramp like yours attached when folding the amas in - perhaps taking off the shock cord around ama handle only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the "tramp" needs to be removed before folding the akas. However I didn't try to fold them with it on. It only takes a few minutes to put it on and take it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FloridaRobot wrote:
Tom, I don't feel there is any undo stress on the akas with this design. There's not that much pressure when I use it and I don't use it in heavy wind.

You're probably right. After reading about some of the tumbles in the surf, it's hard to imagine breaking anything in light winds, and it isn't needed in strong winds.