Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramps anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey guys,

A local AI owner had us build him one of these. Then Yakman pinged me about it. It took a heck of a lot longer for the loft to do than I orginally told Yakman because we were swamped (sorry about that Al). But I finally got some.

Al thinks it needs some tie down points, so we're tossing some ideas around. Maybe extra grommets in the body of the tramps, or some "hiking straps" to use as lash points.

Anyway....

Don't know if anyone else is interested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Brian C

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't wait to get my hands on the them

Brian you are awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks nice! What's the material?

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: Re: nice
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakman wrote:
I can't wait to get my hands on the them

Brian you are awesome

The reality is that Joe in the loft is awesome... Unless you're in a hurry for something. He's a frigging perfectionist. :lol:

Joe got those other grommets pounded in for you. I'm going to restring it on the yak and take some more pictures. Then I'll give you a ring. Will probably ship via UPS going out Monday since the post office has an extended July 4th holiday.

What we really need to figure out is a quick install/uninstall system. A loop and go kind of thing using existing hardware points. Like the live well, this may be a work in process for awhile.

Cheers and Happy 4th.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian will be in the DFW area next week and will come by the store to pick up spare rudder pins etc, tramp looks very neat hope I can get to see it,any ball park figure on the price?

john farrell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
Looks nice! What's the material?

Kayaking Bob

It's TriVantage Awntex 70 - commonly used in shade structures and pool covers (for keeping leaves out). It's UV stabilized so it should handle prolonged exposure just fine. We used Gore Tenara thread instead of polyester thread for the seams. #2 Brass Grommets.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

makenmend wrote:
Brian will be in the DFW area next week and will come by the store to pick up spare rudder pins etc, tramp looks very neat hope I can get to see it,any ball park figure on the price?

john farrell

Hey John,

If you call ahead, we'll set what you need in Will Call. Hopefully we'll have what you need. Keeping parts (and yaks) in stock has been tough lately. Traffic through store has been crazy.

Since we haven't totally finished the design on the tramp, I'm not positive what the final numbers will be. The material costs aren't too bad even using all the "UV-proof" materials, but the construction time was more than we thought. We can't run the material through our current plotter because the pen catches on the mesh. So it's all hand drawn and cut. Ballpark is under $200 for a pair. I just don't know how far under.

Al made the good point that it needed more lash points. Joe wanted to be sure whatever we used was long term durable. I wanted to make sure it was easy to use while sitting in the yak. So instead of "hiking straps" which would have not been UV-proof and would add a lot of time to the build, we've added more grommets around the perimeter so that a "spider web" of shockcord can be set up between all the grommets. Shockcord is cheap and would be easy to replace once it wore out.

I'm going to hang a tramp back on the AI and run more shockcord of what I'm thinking. I'll take and post pics.

When Al gets these, he'll probably have ideas. Since he's been waiting pretty patiently, I need to ship these out to him tomorrow.

Once we sort it out, we'll probably post them on our website. I think black is best, but we'll probably offer a green, white and blue. Maybe set it up as "naked" tramps, tramps with an attachment kit and maybe a third with the shockcord spider web. I just don't know.

The bad news is that Joe is our master sail builder. So lead time on these for the immediate future will probably be 4-6 weeks. If people like them, I'll try to get some built ahead of time like we do for Catalina mainsail covers.

Anyway...

Hope everyone is having a good 4th.

Cheers,
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not an owner of an Adventure Island. I recall reading on the Raptor 16 web-site that no more than 130 lbs. could be carried when using the Raptors optional tramp. I have no idea how you envision using the tramps, but I would strongly recommend anyone contemplating placing weight on the tramps obtain an opinion from Hobie regarding such intended use.
Sailpowerd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice Tramp Dog :)
It looks like you could easily add a few padeyes or lashing hooks to the boat hull and tie the tramp off there as well using nylon snap hooks . While you're at it, you might as well make a tramp triangle for the front of the yak, one for each side, going to back to each ama, and use it as a spray guard like GWIZ made to cut down on the notorious A.I. water spray issue I've read so much about . 8)
Happy Fourth
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking set of tramps. 8)

Is this something that will be available for sale?

Keep up the good work!

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepnutz wrote:
While you're at it, you might as well make a tramp triangle for the front of the yak, one for each side, going to back to each ama, and use it as a spray guard like GWIZ made to cut down on the notorious A.I. water spray issue I've read so much about . 8)
Happy Fourth
Kepnutz

If I hit Joe up with that, I think he'll strangle me. :lol:

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
Great looking set of tramps. 8)

Is this something that will be available for sale?

Keep up the good work!

Yakaholic

Yeah... I think we'll eventually make those available. For awhile, it will probably be a special order thing. But once Winter hits and the loft slows down a bit, we'll probably build them to have on the shelf. We have to get through Summer first.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure if this is important to anyone but I have been working on a set for myself using Dupont shade-cloth and found that I like a little room between the main hull and the tramps so I can sneak a small paddle in there just for getting in (beaching) or out (launching) before I plug in my mirage drive...

I also found while tinkering that if someone wants just one tramp - maybe for a camera bag or water bottle or whatever, that the cargo net from my Honda Pilot fits perfectly with the addition of 4 ball type bungees for lashing. You can also order those from Honda for $49 per net. Each net has bungees already built in with adjustment cords to adjust the tension of the net but obviously it was not made with UV and water in mind. Anyway just some side thoughts - not to take away from the wonderful designs above! I also was thinking of looking around auto parts stores at the nets used on the back of some pickup trucks - perhaps an idea there to play with too...

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The tramps we've got are probably narrow enough that if you set them up on the outboard end of the aka you could probably get a paddle in. Not positive though. And I wonder if those cargo nets from the Pilot might make a good tie down option for gear on the tramp.

I got a couple more pictures with one possible shockcord configuration. In this one, I ran the tramp under the brace bar. I think that will work better.

It looks like the tramp will be curled up at the sides if you put that much tension on the shockcord. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. In these pictures, I just used 3/16" line on both ends to snug it up.

One thing that I'm concerned about is what happens if you hit something with an Ama while using the tramps.... Any thoughts?

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've "simulated" that situation where the brace arm gives way while the tramps are on - just doing it myself standing in the water... I was wondering when I go on an extended trip and encounter that kind of problem what would happen and it doesn't take rocket science to see the mess - the result wasn't pretty with the tangle of stuff and the tramp getting streched diagonally... I imagine that would be a problem if you were dumped off the boat in a bad water /wave situation and now there is one thing to deal with besides the other more pressing problems...

Obviously, everything on the tramps should be lashed down somehow but regardless, it all goes to hell when the main arms are moving or collapse...

The cargo net from the honda pilot is actually a webbing so lashing and attachement points are great - it's just not made for the application so I wonder about longterm durability on the water in and the sun - I'm in SW Florida so the UV is always HIGH!