Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:41 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
...hmmm... what to do... what to do...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
Maybe you could use it on your PWC? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm 
Offline
Hobie Team Member

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Hawaii, Big Island
Inspiration might be here:

http://story-of-a-sailing-kayak.blogspot.com/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
The Dog wrote:
Maybe you could use it on your PWC? :lol:


I have sailed a couple of powerboats using the Bimini top, once because I had to and once because it sounded like fun. It works surprisingly well!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:10 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
AlohaDan wrote:

The aluminum sleeve extensions on the Mirage Drive and rudder were quite innovative!

I was most interested in the mast insert at the top, which he said they quickly broke. I'm worried about my mast. How to attach something which could hold the jib and still allow furling the main, all without overstressing the mast?

The AI has plenty of power in stronger winds, but when there are no tropical storms around to play with, I frequently find that I want a little boost. I don't need something that will stand up to flying the jib in strong winds, since there's no need to do that. I just want something that will give me a boost in light air, and I want the ability to drop the jib and stow it if the winds pick up. I'd rather not try to make a furling jib.

I would rather not have to remove the mast to run the halyard, but if I leave the jib halyard run and ready for use, it has to not interfere with the main when I am not using the jib.

I haven't thought of any ideas that I like, but


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:35 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
Tom Ray wrote:
The Dog wrote:
Maybe you could use it on your PWC? :lol:


I have sailed a couple of powerboats using the Bimini top, once because I had to and once because it sounded like fun. It works surprisingly well!


Been there. In a pinch, a big beach towel makes a good spinaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 am 
Offline
Hobie Team Member

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Hawaii, Big Island
Tom Ray wrote:
AlohaDan wrote:


I was most interested in the mast insert at the top, which he said they quickly broke. I'm worried about my mast. How to attach something which could hold the jib and still allow furling the main, all without overstressing the mast?


Here's a rig I use to get the mast to act as a fishing outrigger.

Remove sail from mast and duct tape a small alluminum tube to the top For fishing I use a three footer. Fifteen inches tape to the mast, 15 above. You will want a much shorter extension-maybe 3-6 inches.

Then from the al tube run flexible plastic tubing tojust above the furling fixture.

Replace sail and push al tube past the top of the sails strap that fits accross the top of the mast.

Then take a piece of spectra, or even small nylon cord twice this length and run it down the tube so you have a loop. attach your snap for the jib. which you can now run up and down like on a flag pole.

You can only use this rig when the main is unfurled. It's possible to use it with the main furled, but you can then only use thejib. You do this by discoonecting your loop, holding the line outfrom the main and carefully furling.

Note the pull of the sail cannot exceed the breaking strength of your loop.

I posted pics on this somewhere. But CRS.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Dan, you completely lost me with that description. I hope you can find some pictures! I'm confused!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 pm 
Offline
Hobie Team Member

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm
Posts: 615
Location: Hawaii, Big Island
OK found them

Here's a pictureof the Al tube duct taped to the top of the mast. I had a rather longer one for fishing as had to be able to keep fishing line away from battens. You will need a shorter extension, a couple of inche maybe, but plenty of tubing taped to the mast as you will have a greater pull then my clip has when a fish strikes.

Image

Then the plastic tubing that runs through the AL tubing to the base of the mast. I did not show that terminating in a plastic bushing, but you will need one as the up down line can cut the end of the tubing.

Image

And my outrigger clip. This would be a snap hookor something similar to attach to the jib peak. Whole thing is very simple.

[Image

Final note. When I had the small sail, I ran both lines outside tothe top of the mast where I had a very simple dowel extension and ring for the lines. The reason I used the tube is two external lines tend to foul and get twiste, etc.

Hope this helps.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:57 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Thanks, Dan! Got the idea now. I like the part about leading the lines separately, but not sure how the rest would work out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:24 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 21
AlohaDan wrote:
OK found them

Here's a pictureof the Al tube duct taped to the top of the mast. I had a rather longer one for fishing as had to be able to keep fishing line away from battens. You will need a shorter extension, a couple of inche maybe, but plenty of tubing taped to the mast as you will have a greater pull then my clip has when a fish strikes.

Image

Then the plastic tubing that runs through the AL tubing to the base of the mast. I did not show that terminating in a plastic bushing, but you will need one as the up down line can cut the end of the tubing.

Image

And my outrigger clip. This would be a snap hookor something similar to attach to the jib peak. Whole thing is very simple.

[Image

Final note. When I had the small sail, I ran both lines outside tothe top of the mast where I had a very simple dowel extension and ring for the lines. The reason I used the tube is two external lines tend to foul and get twiste, etc.

Hope this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: jib
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Hi Tom Ray

any progress with the jib?? i am also keen to add a jib, to improve light wind sailing.

I was also thinking that if wind picks up rather than dropping the jib, just furl the mainsail, provided the connection at top of mast allows for this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:03 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 am
Posts: 598
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
I have not done anything yet. Someone posted on here a while back something with a rod down the center of the mast, through the strap in the sail head and the mast top fitting.

I need to figure out some kind of spacer which would move the necessary halyard block up, out, and away from the mainsail for furling and unfurling.

A tack line to a block out at the bow would then allow you to pull the tack of the sail out onto the foredeck, then pull the halyard to set the sail. That's the setup I have on my Klepper foldable:

Image

I can drop the jib and release the tack line and just stuff the whole mess into the boat between my legs. I don't have the problem of a rotating mast and a really long top batten on that boat!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: prunicki, Ricky and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group