Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch Storage Solutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking for clever ways to store items inside the hatches so that they are easily retrieved. I find the items below want to migrate unless secured. The hobie storage box is fine but not for bigger items. Anyone have ideas to share?

Vetgam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lined the inside of my front and rear hatch areas with a thin closed cell foam pad (aka yoga mat) and it is sticky enough to keep the stuff I've stowed in place.
Didn't need to glue it in so, I just pull it out when it needs drying out in the hull.

Here's the stuff I used - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BRHPU8
Nice and thick and comes in colors to suit your preferences. The light blue one matches up well with the Dune sail and trim.
One roll (mat) is 72" long and gave me enough to do the front hatch area, rear hatch area and enough left over for some 8" wide strips to put between the amas and the hull when trailering to prevent scratching.

~BoP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I could see this working well. Especially If cut it right you could compartmentalize the hull into three sections so that everything below deck stays where you left it. Does it mold over time?

Vetgam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

with my 8" hatches i made a large loop of paracord that goes through the little hole in the lower hatch flange, then i use small dry boxes that i clip to the paracord, that way my stuff stays dry and i just pull out the box i need.. i hope this makes sense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put a plastic tray "that barely fit thought the round hole" in that access area that has four about 1 inch solid PVC standoffs. The standoffs keep the tray above any water in the hull. I tried to glue the PVC standoffs to the hull - gave up. So the plastic tray can be moved around. The plastic tray will not hold any water (I also drilled some extra holes in the bottom of the tray).. any water that does get in the tray just leaks out the bottom. I added a tether to one of the ring mounting holes to the plastic tray. The tray stays relatively dry even with water sloshing around in the hull because of the standoffs.

The tray gets slid forward (still on the tether) and I can pull it back under the access hole. Also, I have a second tether from the tray with a micro SS carabineer at the end that I can clip to a 20 liter dry bag where we will keep rain/splash clothing that you need easy access to on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ditto on the foam mat. I'm using something like a yoga mat but it's sort of waffle textured on one side. I think it's actually and old camping mat.
I keep pool noodles on each side of the hull up to about where the mast socket supports are and this helps block entry of stuff into the hull. I just pull the mat out to dry and sponge out any excess water.
Chris