Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kayaking Bob--Beautiful shots, beautiful water.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Love those Maui Shots especially with the wind farm up the ridge....the last one was too close to the treatment plant though....just so you know in case you came down with any skin problems. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No treated water get dumped directly into the ocean here in Maui, it's pumped into the ground. We do have a problem from that. Nitrogen levels are higher near the "wells" causing more algae and seaweed growth. Some of the recovered water is used to water grass & plants at commercial properties near the plants (shopping plazas, condos). We are hoping it will be available to homeowners too someday, as water is expensive and limited here and the reefs could use all the TLC we can give them.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I stand corrected...I saw the algae blooms out in the water and just jumped to conclusions.......Maui is gorgeous though. Have you done a circumnavigation yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No problem. The fast growth in South Maui the last couple of decades has stressed the area. At least they have proven what's causing that problem, but no solution (or change) yet.

I've sailed from D.T. Fleming beach up north to LaPerouse Bay down south, all on the western side of Maui. No circumnavigation yet. The two channels (North and South between the islands) are too rough most days of the year. The wind traveling +2000 miles without interruption gets squeezed between the islands and usually doubles it's speed and force.

Living the south side (Kihei), our winds 300+ days a year are wrap-around winds (my term), as we are in the lee of Haleakala (two miles high!). So like an eddy current on a river (from my old river canoeing days), the wind fills back in from different directions.

Always interesting (and warm) sailing here.

Whenever you're going to be back 'on island' let me know and we'll try to get out AI sailing.

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob