So I went to Home Depot and got some shade cloth, and I hung it around my porch to protect my orchids! Don't you people know what that stuff is for?
But I did put a jib on my Adventure Island and take it for an afternoon sail when I was done with the porch screening project.
I did it like someone else here did, rolling out the sail on the lawn to install a halyard block at the top of the mast, then rolling the halyard up inside the sail. I put a carabiner in the bow eye and led a tack line through it. The sheets I just held in my hands.
I was able to roll up the jib and stow it in front of my Mirage Drive until we got to an area where I wanted to use it. I didn't take a picture of it stowed.
When I got ready to use it, I had to (try to) arrange everything to sprout a sail.
I got most of it right, but did lead my starboard side jib sheet inside the jib halyard. Doh! I discovered it before tacking, fortunately.
From the pile stowed beside me, I pulled the tack of the jib out using a tack line. I had a loop in it set to hold the tack of the jib about a foot off the deck. You can see my brother in my wife's boat in the distance. He was taking video, but I haven't seen it yet.
And up it went!
It's too big for upwind work, and I was afraid to tighten the halyard enough to give it a real chance to point very high. It was nice on a close reach, and I could feel it pulling pretty hard.
On a broad reach in light winds, the main seemed to suck the jib onto itself, stopping both of them from drawing. Here's a shot of that.
I did sail it a bit wing on wing, but didn't get a picture. I hope that part comes out on the video. I didn't have my barber hauler lines on, and they really would have helped. Next time...