Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:15 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:46 am
Posts: 76
Location: sacramento
Skymax

Just for fun check out Backbay Boat Works..the Triton model..This motor and style is what Hobie may move towards..If I'm lucky.. Check out how the whole deal is packaged onto the trailer...two person...large sail...plus small motor. Give it a look and post back.. The price stopped me..If you check austinkayak / troqueedo add... a small picture of a kayak outfitted with the new rear mouted troqueedo..very stylish.. {enlarge} done in the same stlye as Triton..Now Hobie may only offer this on the fishing model next year..But may expand to a kit as time goes by...I'm close to enough savings for the smaller travel torqueedo that I will side mount. This will see me through till retirment..Then on to the Triton if Hobie continues to lag. Also for fun check.... Magnum 21.s....Hydrovision the {outrigger fin} then Windrider site. if some of these options make their way onto AI under 6000$ sold around the US where it can be looked at before buying. Also on one of my previous post austinkayak has a side mount kit that may be adapatable to the fishing pole recess holes of AI. I do use that type now. But with a 30# thrust kota... and 40# battery...the weight of the battery takes away from the overall performance to the extent that for a sailing ride it must be removed. So inceased size by Hobie AI for increased sail area.. Did read that someone may have mounted a larger sail onto AI mast?...The basic kayak frame can only take so much..AI needs it's own casting for increased strenght/size...This new torqueedo may be the answer I need, and may work for several years with the 1 or 2 batteries I can afford. Skymax as shown on this post topic {walker watersnake} type motor is being sold in your country so as it will slip in the dive hole. You can but the kit as shown, or just the motor and make your own with the Hobie plug. I found a place in US Florida that is supposed to sell this brand Jarvis that will fit through the hole but as yet the phone # I got has produced no retrun call..1-239-481-5649..I do not want to try and order from across the seas. Shipping was ok, at the same price as the motor, total under 300$ But for you, will be less if you like I will look up the online store selling from your country as I can not remember now. I have also mounted PA in the front and sprit V sails in the rear as options with or with the ama's...Now when I put all those options together..It is a joke of a ride and very hard to get all mounted at the same time..and get a ride.. V sail sprit mounted in the rear with the motor mount assy. V -sail PA in the front.. with some of the AI sail out ..motor on... moving down wind with peddle power..going no faster than anyother time just for laughs..It is quite a sight...all I need to add are the side tramps..These are all parts left over from other kayaks and canoes and rafts...mostly I have worked it up in the garage as fun and take to the smaller lakes as stupid fun just once..use the various options. The V-sails are good to leave the main AI sail on the truck. The two V-sails together are quite good down wind/across with amas..They must come down and use the peddles to get back..Some times a little upwind along the side of a lake, laid out in the correct direction, towards the dock will allow return use. I just like all the stupid stuff. My wife sometimes will move away from me as as the silly looks incease..She stills paddles our orginal kayak with a little with white poddle on the poop deck..+ salior cap


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:55 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
Hey, I tried it. I have a 16 foot AMF Sunbird and use a 2.5 horse Mercury as auxiliary power. I decided to hang that motor on my AI as well, just for grins and giggles.

I rigged a two by four, about 15 inches long, flat across the rear crossbar and bolted it, with U bolts, to the crossbar. Above that I placed another, edge up, that extended about a foot over the right side of the kayak. I put two steel rods, covered with one inch outside diameter PVC pipes, through the rear drain holes and placed them, through the flat two by four and bolted them, with U bolts, to the edge up two by four which I used to hand the outboard on.

It worked beautifully EXCEPT for one problem. The wake and prop wash from the motor completely filled the rear storage compartment. The wake from the motor shaft and the wash from the prop were both about six inches high and the rear of the rear of the AI was about three inches above the water line. That was with the motor causing the AI to nose up. The water came over very strong and the drain holes were used and could not drain the water. It would not have mattered much because the water came over faster than the holes could drain even if they had been open. I was hauling about 200 pounds of water with me.

I could not figure out any way around the problem so I just took the whole damn thing off. I probably could have figured out a way to fill the rear compartment with something but I did not think it worth the effort. I had already devoted far too much time and effort to something that I just was not going to use that much anyway.

A failed project, end of story.

Ron P.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:24 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
kepra wrote:
Skymax

Just for fun check out Backbay Boat Works..the Triton model..This motor and style is what Hobie may move towards..If I'm lucky.. Check out how the whole deal is packaged onto the trailer...two person...large sail...plus small motor. Give it a look and post back.. The price stopped me..If you check austinkayak / troqueedo add... a small picture of a kayak outfitted with the new rear mouted troqueedo..very stylish.. {enlarge} done in the same stlye as Triton..Now Hobie may only offer this on the fishing model next year..But may expand to a kit as time goes by...I'm close to enough savings for the smaller travel torqueedo that I will side mount. This will see me through till retirment..Then on to the Triton if Hobie continues to lag. Also for fun check.... Magnum 21.s....Hydrovision the {outrigger fin} then Windrider site. if some of these options make their way onto AI under 6000$ sold around the US where it can be looked at before buying. Also on one of my previous post austinkayak has a side mount kit that may be adapatable to the fishing pole recess holes of AI. I do use that type now. But with a 30# thrust kota... and 40# battery...the weight of the battery takes away from the overall performance to the extent that for a sailing ride it must be removed. So inceased size by Hobie AI for increased sail area.. Did read that someone may have mounted a larger sail onto AI mast?...The basic kayak frame can only take so much..AI needs it's own casting for increased strenght/size...This new torqueedo may be the answer I need, and may work for several years with the 1 or 2 batteries I can afford. Skymax as shown on this post topic {walker watersnake} type motor is being sold in your country so as it will slip in the dive hole. You can but the kit as shown, or just the motor and make your own with the Hobie plug. I found a place in US Florida that is supposed to sell this brand Jarvis that will fit through the hole but as yet the phone # I got has produced no retrun call..1-239-481-5649..I do not want to try and order from across the seas. Shipping was ok, at the same price as the motor, total under 300$ But for you, will be less if you like I will look up the online store selling from your country as I can not remember now. I have also mounted PA in the front and sprit V sails in the rear as options with or with the ama's...Now when I put all those options together..It is a joke of a ride and very hard to get all mounted at the same time..and get a ride.. V sail sprit mounted in the rear with the motor mount assy. V -sail PA in the front.. with some of the AI sail out ..motor on... moving down wind with peddle power..going no faster than anyother time just for laughs..It is quite a sight...all I need to add are the side tramps..These are all parts left over from other kayaks and canoes and rafts...mostly I have worked it up in the garage as fun and take to the smaller lakes as stupid fun just once..use the various options. The V-sails are good to leave the main AI sail on the truck. The two V-sails together are quite good down wind/across with amas..They must come down and use the peddles to get back..Some times a little upwind along the side of a lake, laid out in the correct direction, towards the dock will allow return use. I just like all the stupid stuff. My wife sometimes will move away from me as as the silly looks incease..She stills paddles our orginal kayak with a little with white poddle on the poop deck..+ salior cap


keep having fun, I'd love to see a foto of yo rig.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Darwinian wrote:
Hey, I tried it. I have a 16 foot AMF Sunbird and use a 2.5 horse Mercury as auxiliary power. I decided to hang that motor on my AI as well, just for grins and giggles.

I rigged a two by four, about 15 inches long, flat across the rear crossbar and bolted it, with U bolts, to the crossbar. Above that I placed another, edge up, that extended about a foot over the right side of the kayak. I put two steel rods, covered with one inch outside diameter PVC pipes, through the rear drain holes and placed them, through the flat two by four and bolted them, with U bolts, to the edge up two by four which I used to hand the outboard on.

It worked beautifully EXCEPT for one problem. The wake and prop wash from the motor completely filled the rear storage compartment. The wake from the motor shaft and the wash from the prop were both about six inches high and the rear of the rear of the AI was about three inches above the water line. That was with the motor causing the AI to nose up. The water came over very strong and the drain holes were used and could not drain the water. It would not have mattered much because the water came over faster than the holes could drain even if they had been open. I was hauling about 200 pounds of water with me.

I could not figure out any way around the problem so I just took the whole damn thing off. I probably could have figured out a way to fill the rear compartment with something but I did not think it worth the effort. I had already devoted far too much time and effort to something that I just was not going to use that much anyway.

A failed project, end of story.

Ron P.


Wow, thanks for saving me a lot of dissapointment Ron, I woudn't have guessed that problem.
Where I sail there is nowhere to come ashore outside the Harbor for a hundred Kliks in either direction, save trashing my AI in the heavy surf on lonely, open ocean beaches and maybe drown myself as well.
I need a Stink Kit as these spoilt purists say, so I can motor up wind and then be able to sail back with a following breeze, even with broken rudder, instead of being swept over to new Zealand.
It's something extra I don't really want to have to deal with but it's basically survival equipment under these circumstances and taking responsibility for your own safety.
Many times I wish I had a nice freshwater lake bounded by countless places to land and no sea monsters like so many of you guys have.

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Pirate wrote:
chrisj wrote:
Yeah, I managed to trace it to your website. I thought it was a bit strange, a U.S. website referring to a shop in Canberra, without mentioning where Canberra is (it's the capital of Austria of course). BTW nice website you've got there.


:shock: I always wondered where it was.....Pirate :?


That's the State you Mexicans drive past when on your way to the North Coast for Xmas Holidays :P

_________________
Fair Skies, Max.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Well skymax, it's nice to know that somebody else does not have the 'lakeside' option but must venture instead to the open seas. I too have the same problem in the event of offshore winds and breakages as I'd most likely end up in Wales. The beaches are good but many have rocks and so the option of beaching can be problematic. To date, I've never come even close to having a problem which might cause alarm but it's sensible to be cautious. Some offshore winds make it nearly impossible to get home easily so alternates are required. And I venture out with lots of safety gear and pay close attention to the winds/sea states.

I have considered putting a torqeedo motor on the aka but it somehow seems to defeat the purpose. I'm not nearly brave enough to go on long trips far from land. The longest pedal I've had to do is 5 miles and while I moaned to myself, I did manage it relatively easily. By easily, I mean I was just about able to stand :lol:

_________________
Better to be a live donkey than a dead lion!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:46 am
Posts: 76
Location: sacramento
Darwin: If that is to heavy, try a slower moving low thrust trolling. Put a foam protected sealed battery in the front hold. The wake from that will not splash inside. The drain is nessary in the long run. I weigh 168, motor is about 15..battery 40.
It sounds like you were tipped up in the front and hanging low in the rear. What do you think of the Jarvis pictures? The folding troqueedo is 25# or less and may allow you to feel some safer. How much does the gas motor weigh?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:55 pm
Posts: 84
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
kepra wrote:
Darwin: If that is to heavy, try a slower moving low thrust trolling.


The whole point of the motor was to get me to a far off camp site very fast. I can go slow without a motor. I don't fish and have no need to troll.

Quote:
Put a foam protected sealed battery in the front hold. The wake from that will not splash inside. The drain is nessary in the long run. I weigh 168, motor is about 15..battery 40.


A trolling motor, in my opinion is a waste of time. I can go just about as fast with the mirage drive without all the fuss and worry of a battery.

Quote:
It sounds like you were tipped up in the front and hanging low in the rear.


Yes, that is always the case. A motor, (in the rear), makes you nose up while a sail causes you to nose down. It is simply physics. There are no exceptions unless you can go fast enough to plane like a ski boat.

Quote:
What do you think of the Jarvis pictures? The folding troqueedo is 25# or less and may allow you to feel some safer. How much does the gas motor weigh?


I have a trolling motor but it is much too large to fit through the Mirage Drive port. I have no idea how the Jarvis motor managed it because it also looks too large. Perhaps it comes apart. My trolling motor does not. My 2.5 Mecury outboard weighs 45 pounds.

Ron P.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 am
Posts: 54
Location: SOUTH WALES UK
Upyaboya,

Quote:
I too have the same problem in the event of offshore winds and breakages as I'd most likely end up in Wales.


We'll keep a welcome in the hillsides.

Ger


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Good man Ger.....have the kettle on!

Upyaboya

_________________
Better to be a live donkey than a dead lion!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:47 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 18
here is my Torqeedo Motor Mod
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
[img=http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3209/dscf1645.jpg]
I have mounted these on both of my kayaks so I have a little experience in how they work


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:46 am
Posts: 76
Location: sacramento
LByak

Like your new set up, trailer/tramps included. An extension handle for rotational control and you are set to go, Breeze or not. If the mounting bracket was longer it could have been attached at the rear hatch. Hope you give a great report from the GPS, or otherwise. Off shore as mentioned in other post for saftey seems important. I have been saving $ for the same. Looks great...options for use have increased


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 18
here is an example of one of my GPS tracks
http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:8P5A
My friend and I sailed south and then motor-sailed back north
I like to sail mostly
but my friend has had some heart problems and motors more
here is a video of some of our trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LRA2j3oXM
It is nice to be able to go some distance and be confident of getting back


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:30 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Dublin, Ireland
That's just mighty......and beautifully fitted!
How is performance and endurance on a charge?

Thanks

_________________
Better to be a live donkey than a dead lion!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 18
Well performance is determined by the output in watts
and I think that one could expect to go 3 Mph
when using around 100 watts output
that is with out any other forces like wind or current
you could expect to keep that output going for about 3 to 4 hrs
or around 10 miles per charge
seems like that can be increased by some minimal pedaling
to about 4 mph or faster depending on ones physical investment.
If I am power sailing I will pull it out of the water at about 5 mph
under 5 mph I might peddle power and sail.
the other big queswtion seems to be does it allow me to point higher
into the wind :wink:
I am not sure on that
because at some point I am just powering heehee
it will go at higher outputs for shorter periods of time
but I think 5 mph is the best it can do
so no waterskiing sorry


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group