Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The wind was good today so I headed out with my wife to try out my new tramps. I normally use a seat in the back of my AI for my wife (sitting back to back) but today she was on a Tramp next to me the whole time and loved it. The AI rode much nicer too because the weight was more distributed to the middle. When she was on the windward side performance was enhanced because the ama didn't drag in the water as much. It was great and more enjoyable when you can see each other. It really added to the Adventure island experience.

A few times I crawled out onto the other tramp and I could see the advantage of a rudder extension tiller. These tramps are well engineered just like the adventure island itself. Thanks Hobie. Your company has some talented and creative people.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FloridaRobot wrote:
The wind was good today so I headed out with my wife to try out my new tramps. I normally use a seat in the back of my AI for my wife (sitting back to back) but today she was on a Tramp next to me the whole time and loved it. The AI rode much nicer too because the weight was more distributed to the middle. When she was on the windward side performance was enhanced because the ama didn't drag in the water as much. It was great and more enjoyable when you can see each other. It really added to the Adventure island experience.

A few times I crawled out onto the other tramp and I could see the advantage of a rudder extension tiller. These tramps are well engineered just like the adventure island itself. Thanks Hobie. Your company has some talented and creative people.

Nice post FR and all of a sudden the tramps turn AIs into two person boats...Great.
One question though. There is discussion above of reducing the width of the tramps and I was wondering if your experience with your wife on board would have been just a good if say the tramps were only half as wide as supplied?....Pirate

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate, I prefer them the size they are. I doubt half size would have the same tension and stability as these. The wife felt pretty secure with that size and even dipped her feet in the water a few times while underway even though it slowed us down. I usually pull the drive, put the plug in and use the paddles so that was the downside. But not really a problem. I still pulled the drive today and a couple times used the paddle off the back of the boat to help in making turns.

Can't wait to go out again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FloridaRobot,
What is the total weight for both of you?
Check out this boat. He is a local guy. It's a great boat but I wanted something with more beam. You can put up to 150 lbs on his tramp.
http://www.hydrovisions.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your Post FloridaRobot!! Knowing how a trip with passenger went is the info I really needed. My wife does seem excited to try going out for a sail with me and likes the tramp Idea except for one thing..... Cost. She is like $320 for some cloth to stretch between the Aka's?!!? I explained that all of the comments had been very positive on the build quality of the tramps and that it is the same material used for the tramps on all of Hobie's Catamarans. She also wonders if she will have to continually be changing sides as I tack and Gybe to be on the windward side of the Boat? A question from me is grey and black material exactly the same and what goes in the storage pockets? Any Help with what to tell her will be helpful. Thanks to all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wouldn't the trick be to put the passenger on the starboard tramp? Then, when the wind was coming from the port side, you could sit out on the port tramp and at least neutralise the passenger's weight, while still being able to reach the rudder lever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Element, one thing I've learned as I get older is I never regret paying a little extra for something of good quality. Getting the AI was more than the other Kayaks but worth every penny. Same with the Tramps. My wife sewed a set of tramps we made out of shade cloth last year but it was too stretchy to lay on. They really weren't that useful. These are easy to deploy or roll up and stow on the akas while under way.

Chris, I did what you mentioned once. Using the rudder thumb control was the challenging part.

Roderick, our combined weight is around 310.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies.

Black is on Backorder for a month!! Grey is available now... I am sure the grey is meant for the Hibiscus AI .....but.... I was really leaning toward the Black Tramps though. :?: :roll: What to do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These trampolines are amazing. They have allowed me to take my old (14 yrs) dog with me. She makes the perfect hand-warmer and we are at the same eye-level and it makes for a very nice trip. She will often lie down and sleep on the tramp.

The solo nature of the AI is now gone. Taking a girlfriend (a tramp on a tramp?) can turn the AI into a love boat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yowza! Backorder for one month?! :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yviolin wrote:
The solo nature of the AI is now gone. Taking a girlfriend (a tramp on a tramp?) can turn the AI into a love boat!

That has me convinced! I'm ordering a set right away! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can someone tell me how much is a set here in Australia?...Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We don't have pricing for your territory - just contact your dealer directly for pricing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

M Millar
Please consider a pedal upgrade as well to go with the tramps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Admin

stewclark wrote:
M Millar
Please consider a pedal upgrade as well to go with the tramps.

Not sure what you mean here...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next