Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm thinking, with a bit of padding in the hull, you could sling a swag across the tramps and camp out on the boat :idea:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I'm thinking, with a bit of padding in the hull, you could sling a swag across the tramps and camp out on the boat :idea:

True enough chrisj, and pitch a canopy, install a solar powered TV, park in the middle of all the luxury yachtheads and invite a few over for a beer to watch the game :lol:

Or rent it out for the kids to use it as a bouncing frame :lol:

Or take a nap and let someone else drive the A1 :lol:

...seems to me, there's lots of things can be done now that we have some tramps!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya wrote:
True enough chrisj, and pitch a canopy, install a solar powered TV, park in the middle of all the luxury yachtheads and invite a few over for a beer to watch the game :lol:

He He, You're not too far off with the luxury yachtheads Upyaboya. Our main local waterway is this fantastic system of estuaries and flooded river valleys, surrounded by national parks with extremely restricted camping. The billionaires have it pretty much to themselves for overnight stays, as they can anchor in all the little bays. Interestingly, when I sail around them with the AI, they are invariably fascinated and want to know all about it. I've even been invited on board for a G&T once or twice :wink: .

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
Upyaboya wrote:

Interestingly, when I sail around them with the AI, they are invariably fascinated and want to know all about it. I've even been invited on board for a G&T once or twice :wink: .

That's the thing chrisj, the very same thing happens to me. I've even had large yacht stop me at sea to come on over and have a look. When I beach at the local lifeboat station, I invariably go for a wander to our local pub and on my return, without fail, there's always somebody poring over the A1. And they ask lots of questions and wait for me to head off so they can see how it works.

I am constantly amazed by the fascination factor.

But some of the yahoos in the dinghies kind of look down their noses at it....it's not a proper boat....it's a yoke with a sail on it. Ha, ha.....don't you just love it!

Imagine the impact of the tandem?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got my new trampolines, and did a test fitting in the yard. Very easy setup.

The 200 lb rating ... it is definitely higher than that, but don't count on it. I'm a big guy, close to 250, I was able to stand on one of the tramps. But then I stumbled and 'bounced' a little and two of the buckles broke (clearly the plastic buckles are the designed weak point). I can easily replace them, but it looks like I'll have to cut the perfectly good straps off to do it. Unless there is an obvious way to slide the fiberglass rod out that I just don't see.

I'll have it out on the water this weekend. I'll be curious to see how easy it is to paddle with the tramps deployed. I figure you need to unbuckle at least the closest two or three straps on each side.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 am 
Hobie Team Member

Blue

Interested in that paddling test and ability to fold tramps back.

Folded back can they still carry some load like 50-100 lbs?

When you get a chance can you comment.

Mahalo

Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BlueMark,

Also could you try unhooking the outside half of the trampolines? I made a single fishing trampoline that is half as wide and can paddle in over the top of it fine. if that would work with the Hobie one, that would be great.

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The 200 lb rating ... it is definitely higher than that, but don't count on it. I'm a big guy, close to 250, I was able to stand on one of the tramps. But then I stumbled and 'bounced' a little and two of the buckles broke

250 lbs...? Dry land too? You want a job in Hobie R&D? That is some of the stuff we do to products here.

Reality is that the ama would sink had you done that on the water, but I am impressed at the strength of the system!

The straps and buckles are a replaceable part. # 79527201 Web Buckle Assy. Stretch the tramp so you can pull one end of the rod out, then slide far enough out to replace the broken one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan wrote:
"Folding is problematic - there is a solid fiberglass pole in the seam on the back side of tramp - the straps and buckles that connect to the rear aka are affixed to it. It is somewhat flexible, but definitely doesn't fold.

What I was thinking is that with the first buckle undone there might be enough slack to allow paddling canoe style along the hull - but not kayak paddling.

But ... you got me to thinking ... if you were to replace the solid pole with a shock corded two piece pole ... you could unbuckle the first two straps and pull the pole apart and "fold" back the half of the rear of the tramp, opening up a triangle of space for paddling, or climbing aboard the kayak from the water.

It still wouldn't give enough space or kayak paddling, but it would allow fairly easy canoe paddling. I wouldn't count on the tramp having significant carrying capacity while folded - the remaining buckles would be strained much nearer to their failure point.

reconlon wrote:
Also could you try unhooking the outside half of the trampolines? I made a single fishing trampoline that is half as wide and can paddle in over the top of it fine. if that would work with the Hobie one, that would be great.
I don't think the geometry would work out right. You can't fold either the front or back with the stock tramp. With the modification that Dan inspired you could fold back the rear portion, but that would only open up a small triangle of space - mostly where you don't need it.

The front of the trampoline is a sleeve that the front aka fits through. So you couldn't fold it without "folding" the aka.

It wouldn't be too hard to modify the tramp to only cover half the width, but you couldn't change that on the fly.

mmiller wrote:
250 lbs...? Dry land too? You want a job in Hobie R&D? That is some of the stuff we do to products here.
That would be great! Do you have a Lake Erie Research Center yet? I'm a complete newbie to sailing ... but I am an expert at breaking things!
Quote:
Reality is that the ama would sink had you done that on the water, but I am impressed at the strength of the system!

The straps and buckles are a replaceable part. # 79527201 Web Buckle Assy. Stretch the tramp so you can pull one end of the rod out, then slide far enough out to replace the broken one.
Good to know. I have a plethora of replacement buckles and webbing, but it would be a fine idea to stock up on the correct parts.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used my new Tramps today and they were great. Not sailing, just pedaling. Took my 72 lb Lab and my wife. Altogether we put 425 lbs and the boat was a fairly low in the water. I put a large float raft thing (called an unsinkable Molly Brown) on top of one side and my wife found it incredibly comfortable as did I when we switched positions. I mean fabulously comfortable. But this may not be good for a windy sailing situation.

Using the paddle was ok for really short moments which was good. I was able to back up just by paddling behind me. But I don't see any serious paddling with these tramps.

I am concerned my dogs nails may eventually destroy these tramps so i need to figure out a more permanent cover of some type.

I really like these new Tramps. It was so much fun to have my wife and dog with me. I am anxiously awaiting the new tandem AI. With tramps it will be really interesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2AIforwife wrote:
I am concerned my dogs nails may eventually destroy these tramps so i need to figure out a more permanent cover of some type.

Have you considered: Pedipaws or Soft Paws?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan wrote:

Regular kayak paddling is out, but canoe style paddling is easy. And you can make that more useful by positioning the tramp out a little bit. If you move the front sleeve out 4 to 6 inches, so that it abuts the hinge pin strap instead of having the built in hole straddling it, and similarly place the first strap 4 to 6 inches out, you will have plenty of room for canoe style paddling, with little loss of carrying capacity on the tramp. The tramp is still plenty close enough for use, and in a pinch you can stand between the hull and tramp.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Blue

Sounds good for an old canoe (OC-1/6)style paddler

Mahalo

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do the tramps actually attach to the hull deck gunwales to make them splash-proof for the sailor or are they just held there by tension between the akas?..Pirate

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Just tension from forward to aft aka.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next