Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice Bimini chrisj......But mine would have to bee higher up to many fish and not enough time........Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being a Florida SW coast native and avid sailor for my entire life I can relate to 50+ yrs of sun damage and can't thank you enough for the detail in your bimini post and very nice website. I have been hesitant to use the new AIs I bought for my wife and I this summer because of the lack of sun protection but your inventive, inexpensive and attractive bimini will quickly be put into action on my AI. Kelli is a sporting goods wholesale buyer and even though she has access to all the latest greatest hats/shirts/sunscreen etc I still think a bimini is the ultimate answer for keeping the cockpit and crew cool. Keep up the great design work.
Nice website and I noticed the pics display a couple of aerial shots that look suspiciously like Kite photography. With you being an engineer it wouldn't surprise me. Here's a couple KAP shots I've done in the past couple of years from our 26' Hunter.
Cya
Mike & Kelli

A bit of an overlap showing the bayside anchorage and across the dune to the gulf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bonafide: Not entirely sure if we are talking about the same video, but it was taken with my Canon SD850 IS in my right hand, then shifted to my left. Did you notice how I turned to look away while I was filming to imply I was not doing the filming? (acting!... thank you).

To all: If you make the shade, I should point out a couple things... the bungee must be wrapped around the tent pole when you install it (look closely at the picture). It's easy to do, but it won't stand up properly if the tension is not in-line with the poles. Also, I added no allowance for making the seams. I left that up to the person doing the sewing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great design and innovation Surfoos!
Very impressive! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surfoos

I am also a Floridian often seeking sun relief while in the Islands. Like you I also wear long pants, long sleve shirt and a Tilly hat. Sunscreen alone won't keep the intense midday sun from becoming painful.

I really do like the bimini design but how do you keep it from hitting the bottom side of the sail.
I'm 5'10" and I have to duck slightly to get the sail to pass over my head. Plus when sailing upwind on a tight reach the sail practically rests beside my head. How do you manage the sail clearance with the bimini?

Your website is impressive. I also couldn't help but identify with your opening post about steering conversations with others into talking about the Island :lol: I have been guilty of that many times.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic: It was all pure luck. I had two tent poles in the closet with seven segments, 2 feet per segment. I propped them up across the amas and, amazingly, it was a perfect fit. When I slid the crossing point back, the form just filled the allowable space better than I could have ever planned, and it was obvious it would look cool. The sail just barely scrapes the shade. I am 5'11 and still have a few inches of headroom.

Bonafide: btw... really liked your pictures. Looks a lot like the our barrier islands, except thinner. That little strip must take a beating during hurricanes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well its gonna be exciting at the Florida Sun using kayak with tent

http://www.buyshade.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Pirate"]Aledal Betel....mmmm...it rymes (thanks for the correction Surfoos)
And Surfoos thanks