Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Large Rudder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi AIers
- I found the rudders below in Hobie's online catalog.
- I'm want to get a large sailing rudder.
- Does anyone know what the difference between the two blades listed below is?
- Does "i-Series" mean for inflatable kayaks?
- Does anyone have a large rudder and how much does it improve sailing performance?
-- Al K

Hobie Large Rudder
81397001 Large Twist-n-Stow "Sailing" Rudder Blade
81397101 i-Series Large Twist-n-Stow Rudder Blade

Post subject: Re: Hobie Large Rudder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out sailing yesterday in a pretty stiff wind with my Outback and large rudder. I can tell you it does make a difference and for the money the larger rudder is worth the money. Easy installation. I am pretty sure the I is inflatable but your dealer can confirm. The biggest problem I have sailing is unfurling and furling the sail while under way. Cause once furled you have to sorta stand up to put a short bungie cord around the rolled up sail.

Harvey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

If you have an AI you probably already have the large rudder, unless it's an Adventure which has been upgraded to AI and they didn't fit it.

If you are looking at changing the rudder on another model then this might not help you much but the AI rudder was upgraded to improve sailing performance I believe.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Harveyscott wrote:
I was out sailing yesterday in a pretty stiff wind with my Outback and large rudder. I can tell you it does make a difference and for the money the larger rudder is worth the money. Easy installation. I am pretty sure the I is inflatable but your dealer can confirm. The biggest problem I have sailing is unfurling and furling the sail while under way. Cause once furled you have to sorta stand up to put a short bungie cord around the rolled up sail.
Harvey

Harvey
- Thanks for rudder info.
- I'm not familiar with the Outback sail furling setup, but with the Adventure Island you can be seated and furl, unfurl, and reef the sail easily. There is no need on AI for a bungie.
- Take a look at the AI setup on the Hobie site, and in particular at the furl/reef cleat next to the main sail cleat.
-- Al K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave- the A.I. still needs a larger rudder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't say "needs" but would say... "could use" a larger rudder.

You could add to that...

More hull volume in the bow
More Sail area
Larger Amas
Longer tiller
etc. etc. etc.

The list can go on and on. Reality is that the boat can not fulfill everyone's needs for all possible conditions. Not that there is something wrong with what it is. That is a fact of life in most any design of any product.

That's why we have so many kayaks in the line up. People all want something a bit different.

Still... we will make changes where possible to make the experience better!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I wouldn't say "needs" but would say... "could use" a larger rudder.

You could add to that...

More hull volume in the bow
More Sail area
Larger Amas
Longer tiller
etc. etc. etc.

The list can go on and on. Reality is that the boat can not fulfill everyone's needs for all possible conditions. Not that there is something wrong with what it is. That is a fact of life in most any design of any product.

That's why we have so many kayaks in the line up. People all want something a bit different.

Still... we will make changes where possible to make the experience better!

Hi Matt, AI'ers
- I'm happy with the AI as it is.
- I have viewed the videos on the Hobie site showing the many sailboats and kayaks. An incredible array of fine craft.
- For those that want bigger AI components, take a look at the various Hobie cats.
- By the way, the larger rudder I was inquiring about in this thread, is the one that's standard on the AI.
---- Al K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Of course the AI can't be all things to all people but I think Hobie gets excellent feedback via this forum as regards innovative ways that the AI could be accessorized. I hope Hobie's product designers are listening and not just saying well the AI can't be all things to all people. I'd probably buy anything Hobie or a third party produced that increased speed or any other area of performance. Its a great, quirky little boat. Let's make it a faster great, quirky little boat.

Timo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah-okay it could use a larger rudder Matt, but thats it. Maybe better handles near the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been looking for a past post on enlarging the rudder but can't find it.
Someone posted pictures of taking the existing rudder and wrapping either aluminum or stainless steel around it to make it bigger. It was held together with pop rivets. Looked very nice. Maybe someone can find the post & I will keep looking.
I don't know what it might do to the twist & stow system lifting a heaver rudder.

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kep's rudder sleeve:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7257

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks stringy,
That must be the one I was trying to remember. I was thinking it was aluminum but this one will do nicely.
In fact this looks better than what I was picturing.
So if you need a larger rudder, here you go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just be careful, adding extra stress could break more rudder pins, or worse, crack the transom like it did when I was testing harder rudder pins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my AI out in steady 18 yesterday, and experienced a few moments with ineffective rudder, when trying to turn downwind. The boat kept pointing upwind despite full rudder. The reason: the sail was overpowered which makes it turn into the wind (like a windsurfer when you pull the mast backwards). It reminded me of a heave-to in larger boats. So the instant remedy is to depower the sail and "let-out" - the rudder will gladly respond ;-). When sailing anything closer than broad reach the remedy should be to "reef" , i.e. furl the sail a couple of turns. Rudder behavior can also be slightly affected by the daggerboard angle. When pointed straight down, perpendicular, the boat turns quicker, so I think.

Hey, who is the first to cross the Atlantic ;-) There must be someone... There is always someone...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's surprising how a little bit of reefing (as little as 3 inches, 1/2 a turn on the mast) can make it behave as a new boat. Timely reefing should keep everything "behaving", balanced.

I find when it is reefed correctly you can mostly steer with the sail, using the sheet line. Let it out to turn downwind, pull it in for higher into the wind.

Now for across the Atlantic, I don't think so! But my dealer Kelly and friend Dan, did sail from The Big Island of Hawaii to Maui, and then back the next day. About 40 miles each way, by one of the most treacherous channels the Alenuihaha. See: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10417